Chimney Breast Removal Problem - Advice?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Main, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Main

Main New Member

I was hoping somebody may have some advice for me. We have just moved into a terraced home, previously owned by older relatives.

The chimney breast has been removed from the first floor, we think 20+ years ago from what they have told us. In the attic, the remaining stack appears to go flush to the floor/first floor ceiling. There are no gallows or steel bar supporting the remaining stack.

I'm concerned about the safety of this, as its right above our heads at night, but also want to sort this as I imagine it will be a problem in future resale if there is a structural survey.

I can see that for chimney breast removal there are various steps required: structural engineer visit, building regs approval, party wall notice, works etc... All very expensive... I'm not really sure what to do though with one that has already been removed, and how I go about getting things re-done properly - do I need to go through the same steps and expense or is there an easier way to do this?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Has chimney been removed from roof,if it has then, it may even be possible to remove the remaining stack in attic,might easier than try to fit gallow brackets,all depends how it's been built & tied in,& stability of the wall, which ever way it's done,will involve the party wall act.
    Want to building inspector to have a look, got any photo's.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  3. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

If it has been in place for 20 years it's not likely to fail any time soon so don't panic

Talk to BC: some won't accept gallows brackets but that's the easiest option. No SE required.

4. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Just had a look at the party wall act and it doesn't pertain to Scotland. https://www.rocketlawyer.com/gb/en/quick-guides/party-wall-matters-in-scotland