Chimney breast removal

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Lionhearted, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Hello,

I want to remove chimney breasts from my semi-detached houses in two phases, leaving stack in place. Fortunately I own both of the semi-detached house, so no problem with party wall, and negotiation with neighbour.

I understand that gallows bracket is a common practice to support remaining stack. However, it shall create problem when I get the same job done on the other half. What are my options in terms of structural support if I get the job done in two phases and in one phase? Any cost benefit, if I get the support part done in one phase?

Thank you.

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Take the lot down if you own both halves: no support required and no roof joint to leak. Must be cheaper to do all in 1 go.

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Gallows brackets are a rough shoddy solution and rely heavily on their being a chimney Brest on the opposite side of the wall to give weight and support. As Steve said, take it all down, start from the top and fix the hole in the roof once you have cleared the roof space, the continue to ground floor level. Do the job properly.

4. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Do I need planning permission or involvement of building control for removing whole chimney stack?

I am in Cambridge and the houses in question are ex-council houses that are neither listed nor in a conservation area.

Distance between front and rear wall is approx 7m and all exterior wall (including partition) are in one brick thick (approx. 210mm) in Flemish or Dutch bond.

5. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

B regs should not be needed, though I have heard that some pedantic BCO's have asked for it if a new trimmers need to be installed, I personally wouldn't.
    Shouldn't need planning unless its in a conservations area if memory serves me correct.

6. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Thanks for the clarification. I am definitely not in a conservation area.

7. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    It would pay to run it past building control,

if you every want to sell, you may have a problem with the buyers surveyor?

good luck
    Peter

8. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Thanks Peter. Is this just to be on safe side thing or really needed? Two different roofers/ builders said that they removed several full chimneys without involving building control and that I do not need one.

9. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

I have heard of a LA who asked for an app due to installing trimming joists where the chimney was removed, but I've never asked for it nor was it asked for at any of the authorities I've worked for any where I carried out my guvvy work. But there's always one!!!!