Chimney Breast Removal

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by blinding, Mar 25, 2005.

1. blinding

blinding New Member

Hi

As anyone got any good links to guides on removing/supporting an existing chimney breast located on a party wall of a semi-detached house? My house has 2 chimney breasts that join into 1 stack in the loft, I only want to remove 1 of the chimney breasts on both ground and first floors. (I would sooner use a lintel rather than brackets.)

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

why, whats wrong with the gallows brackets route

3. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

This subject has cropped up several times recently. This is not a job for the DIY'er...get the pro's in !!

4. Jim

Jim Guest

You say you would rather use a lintel rather than brackets, the two actually go together, the lintel(s) sit on the gallows brackets.

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

gadget and jim, agreed

6. blinding

blinding New Member

I have been advised that if gallow brackets are used I will need to get a party wall agreement, as it will prevent my neighbour removing his chimney and using gallow brackets to do so.

Whereas if I use a lintel, the lintel will sit on the cavity wall and a partition wall which extends down to the foundations, this way I will not need a party wall agreement, as by using a lintel it will not affect my neighbour.

The way I understood the lintel method it does not require gallow brackets, simply 1 lintel from wall to wall then two lintels at 90 degrees to that one, going from lintel to the chimney wall.

Thanks for your comments, more are very appreciated.

7. salem2000

salem2000 New Member

Any structural work on a party wall requires agreement, the work will also require inspection by the local Building Regulations Officer.

I would suggest that you contact them first, their advice is free.