Chimney Breast Removed but Attic and Roof Brick Work Left

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Devlin Thornicroft, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Hi all

Just had a Building Survey done on a Victorian house we are in the middle of purchasing. As with most Victorian houses there are chimneys in most rooms. The chimney breast in the kitchen at the back of the house was removed but the brick work in the attic and the external chimney remain, basically unsupported. I've attached a screenshot from Google Maps that shows the chimney.

I'm not really sure what to do here. How serious is this really? Is it a big job to either put support in under the existing brick work or just remove it outright?

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

How do you know it's unsupported, there could be a steel or lintel holding it up hidden within the floor area.

3. Hi Jord86

True, it could be supported. I guess the only way to tell would be to do a more detailed inspection.

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Why do you assume it's unsupported?

5. Hi I-Man

Yes, admittedly I have made that assumption but only going on what the Building Survey report has stated. I guess a proper structural survey might be the way to go to get this checked.

6. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Have a look in the attic, you should be able to see where the chimney has been terminated, and as Jord mentioned, there should be either a lintel supporting it, or gallows brackets (look like large L brackets)

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Another option is to see if building control have any records: they should have been notified if the work done properly.

Note that the work could still have been done structurally correctly but without notification so if they don't have records it's not definitive.

Worst case a couple of gallows brackets don't take a lot of installing and even if a steel was required it's not the end of the world. We bought a first floor flat which on survey had had a cannabis farm in the roof. One of the issues was a chimney "supported" with a 2x4 propped off the ceiling joists. A pair of gallows brackets, short PSC lintel and few Kemianchors costing about £60 in total (IIRC) sorted that job.

I also had to replace the purlin props and remove plasterboard from the rafters to make everything right, but I costed teh remedials to a total of £1200, requested a £600 reduction on the price and had my hand taken off.

I-Man likes this.
  8. Thanks stevie22

My concern about notifying Building Control is that if it's not done to standard would they not have the power to order it be rectified or worst, rebuilt? Would I be opening a can of worms by doing that?

9. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

If you're buying a house and find out it's not done to standard, then surely you would want to know that? If it needs to be re-done, it's not a particular expensive job, and you can also use that to knock down the purchase price somewhat - your solicitor should be able to handle that