Chimney Hood

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by big_bad_bob, Nov 23, 2006.

1. big_bad_bob

big_bad_bob New Member

I have to fit a chimney hood which passes through a flyover shelf. Tiling will go all the way up to the shelf. Would you tile first then fit the hood, or fit the hood and tile round it? (It is one of the curved glass variety, which would make for some interesting tile cuts). My thoughts at this stage are to tile first, but wondered what the pros do.

Incidentally, what would you do if you had to fit the hood to (an untiled) wall that was out of true - I don't fancy scribing a stainless steel chimney!

2. bettyswallocks

bettyswallocks New Member

tile first but you have to make the wall as plumb and flat as possible, any mistakes with this and the extractor will look poo

3. big_bad_bob

big_bad_bob New Member

Thanks Betty. Kitchen designer is also suggesting just tiling as far as the hood, not above it. I guess that way the kitchen installation could be completed before the tiling is done, but would the wall need to be skimmed perfectly flat to make the chimney look good against the untiled part? - is that the only solution? Must be one the pros deal with every day.

4. bettyswallocks

in this situation i normally completely finish the kitchen except for flyover shelf and extractor (flex connector behind chimney,fused switch in adjacent cupboard)then tile to line of flyover shelf, its important that this area is flat and plumb, when tiling is finished fit extractor and chimney then cut out for shelf, hope this helps

5. bettyswallocks

just read my own message, not very clear is it? ok the area between worktop and flyover shelf needs to be flat, either tiled completly or not at all ,cheers

6. bernieeccles

bernieeccles Member

I've done loads of these.What I always do is pack the extractor off the wall with some timber packing about 12mm thick top and bottom,you wont see it later. The tiler can the quite easily slide the tiles behind the curved glass and behind the hood and chimney.

If the tiler is any good,this is no problem and the job is perfect.It also saves having to go back later.

The thickness of the packing should obviously be calculated,depending on the thickness of the tiles and adhesive.

No way you want to be cuuting around the glass,it will look horrible and bodged.

7. bernieeccles

bernieeccles Member

Tile up to the underside of the shelf,it looks much better and the customer won't have to keep painting the two areas either side of the chimney.

What do designers know about the practicalities of fitting kitchens.Most of them use a rubber tape measure to make the units fit.

8. loosenup

loosenup Member

I agree with Berniclees. on both counts
    I always pack the hood off wall and never have a prob with tiler.. they are usually grateful not to have to cut tiles.. I even do this with a complete stainless hood.. always looks better with tiles behind machine.

Whats a plumb wall ??? flat ?? has anyone actually seen one ??
    Thought they became extinct years ago !!! especially since plasterboards came into evolutionary existence..

:-}

9. big_bad_bob

big_bad_bob New Member

Thank you gentlemen - excellent ideas. I was wondering how to work round the tiler.

Have to agree with you about kitchen designers and their rubber tape measures - the last one I did was 2cm too wide to fit the wall, which required a little bodging - sorry, modification. Looked pretty good in the end, but still....

Flat walls....hmmm.....one of these ones looks like John Prescott in profile. Clearly a bit too keen on the pies.

10. bettyswallocks

sorry didint realise it was diy, on a normal kitchen if the walls have lumps, bumps, bits missing then i get a plasterer ie level and flat walls, we are talking about 2 or 3 hundred pounds on a kitchen costing perhaps 10,000.pieces of batton on a good wall is a good idea, but not when the walls are **** to start with, its very difficult to tell over the internet what condition your kitchen is in, but if you spend a bit of time and money on the preparation, your finished kitchen will look better for it,cheers