chimney lining

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by davegt3, Jun 19, 2014.

1. davegt3

davegt3 New Member

Hi all

We're looking at having a solid fuel fire reinstalled but have been advised that the chimney will need to be lined. I'm based in Horsham is there anyone on here that's local that would come and give us a quote. Also roughly what would I be looking at coat wise?

2. Essex Chimney Sweep

Essex Chimney Sweep New Member

why have they advised it will need relining, if you are going to have an open fire it will be very difficult to reline with correct size, a wood burner maybe a better option.

3. davegt3

davegt3 New Member

they said that there maybe a leak between the living room chimney and the master bedroom chimney. but couldn't be sure where etc

4. Essex Chimney Sweep

Well they should be a bit more positive than that, it is possible and happens a lot sometimes its only a case of relaying the top few courses of bricks and installing the chimney pots. Did they get on the roof and do a full smoke pressure test ? its the only way to know.

5. davegt3

davegt3 New Member

i wasnt at home at the time but my partner says they went up on the roof with a ladder tapped up the chimney at the top and then covered the opening with a sheet. within 15 mins they were done and on there way?

6. Essex Chimney Sweep

The odd occasion I do those its a good couple of hours, especially if its a party wall you need access to next door to check for smoke escape, if any found I normally put the CCTV up the flue that its leaking into in this case the bedroom to find where the smoke is appearing from, but then I do charge £250 for this. I normally just advise to put that towards relining if smoke is seen from more than one pot on the initial sweep and evacuation test.

7. davegt3

davegt3 New Member

thats fair enough they didnt sweep it either lol

8. Essex Chimney Sweep

its pointless without sweeping first, if your lucky and its a large old you may just get liner large enough for an open fire down but expect the walls to be opened up at any bends

9. davegt3

davegt3 New Member

its approx 9 x 9 so i dont thing a 8" liner will fit and if it did the cost would far exceed the worth of the fire place i think

10. Essex Chimney Sweep

yes, absolutely