Chinese Tumbled Slate Wall Tiles! What the!?!?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by leechy, Jul 25, 2007.

1. leechy

leechy New Member

Leading on from my post on the natural slate kitchen floor, which turned out to be a nice job after the good advise.

That good the customer decided to buy Chinese Slate for the walls!?!?

Admittantly this is the first full job using slate and hopfully the last, every tile is a different size, thickness and not square!

My grout lines dont line up and I'm fighting with them to keep the overall look right.

Any advise on this, I've done one wall and will be back on the job friday to finish off.

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Thats what you get for buing cheap Chinese stone, at least the customer will have some money over for your higher fitting costs!!

With the handmade and tumbles tiles you need to leave a large grout gap sometimes 10-12mm, I've had handmade wall tiles that varied in size by 18mm and they were only 125x125 nominal size.

Jason

3. leechy

leechy New Member

Well the customer has decided to have them taken off and go for a regular tile! They said that they did not look anything like those in the showroom, they looked more blue than black and the rough texture was a little too masculin for the lady of the house.

Anyhow I now have to remove the one wall I had done, make good and replace with the new tiles when they have chosen them.

One day tiling has now turned into two and a half!!

Any tips on removing the slate from the wall?

4. C. J.

C. J. New Member

buy a jack hammer and triple the price , loll

5. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Tile removal stell in your sds.