Chop saw advice

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Jan 22, 2022.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all in the market for a new chopsaw currently have a good Bosch saw cuts bang on cuts skirting in the upright and pretty much bang on. Only trouble is do heavy moving around no Sliding action and only bevels one way.

Looking for a dewalt
    DEWALT DCS365N 18V XR 184MM XPS SLIDE MITRE SAW (BODY ONLY)
    18v cordless as I have their kit. Easier set up and if required for future.

trouble is they don’t look like they can cut skirting in the upright position blade looks small. Only bevel one way also. Mostly second fix something that can cope with skirting

any recommendations as I’m hoping to get a stand as part of the deal

thanks in advance

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

These smaller chopsaw 18v I’ve noticed pictured cutting on the flat. I’ve tend to cut skirting upright with better results. But my older chopsaw didn’t hand the sliding function so not sure if that is going to be an issue

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You don't have much choice, if you want to use Dewalt, want to cut skirting upright, want a cordless model and want a slide function the only option is the 54v model and the price will make your eyes bleed.

Rosso and tore81 like this.
  4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Ouch!

what are they like for weight Jord?
    Thankyou for reply

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Awkward and heavy, about 30kg if I remember correctly.

tore81 likes this.
  6. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

far to heavy Back in square 1.

I see a lot using the 18v dewalt now are ideal for skirting trim. I’m guessing you have to cut on the flat but the sliding function deals with that.

mine doesn’t have the sliding function so can burn materials

7. vrDrew63

vrDrew63 Member

This may be off-topic, but I don't really see the point of a cordless chop saw.

Cordless tools certainly have their place. I struggle to imagine what it must have been like drilling holes and driving screws into furniture carcasses with a corded drill. But unless you are building something in an off-grid location, without access to mains power, a chop-saw is - almost by definition - a stationary tool. You bring the work to it, rather than the other way around.

Cordless tools come at a cost. The batteries are expensive, heavy, they need recharging, and their service life is finite. Spend your money on buying a chop saw with a better blade, a better motor, a better fence, whatever. Don't fall into the "sunk costs" fallacy. You might already have existing DeWalt batteries and chargers. But a corded, mains power saw of equivalent size and features will be significantly cheaper than a cordless one. Spend the money on a decent extension cord.

I-Man likes this.
  8. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

appreciate the advice! I know it sounds lazy but it’s another thing to carry and running extensions through window. Just a pain!

I need a new saw anyway so I just want to buy once. Thankyou tho I’ll take it on board. Going to look at them in a store so I can weigh things up.

9. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Just my 2 pennies.. Not quite getting why you have an issue cutting skirting flat and need it to be upright? Also, slightly agree with above points re cordless vs corded, but of course your choice.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  10. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

I have never bought a cordless saw but I would check the Kerf on such things. I find the thin kerf blades useless. They are just too bendy. Give me a good thick blade every time, and if that needs an extension, so be it!

You will have an issue cutting skirting upright. Most saws don't have a big enough blade and those that do are impressively heavy. Some, like Makita, are impressively large too. So large its a **** trying to get through a doorway with one! The only one I know of that has special provision for cutting upright skirting is the Festool 250mm. Course that's more expensive than most peoples car and is mains powered too. Cutting it flat may be your only option. Just watch that thin kerf blade.

tore81 likes this.
  11. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all

I changed the blade advice from a previous post.

and cut the upstands so clean and bang on.

I’ve decided to leave the hunt for a new saw for a little while.

Like I say only issue I have is I always think skirting is cut better in the upright. Sometimes have issues it completing full cut. Motor gets in the way etc.

I have worked away round it. Ideal world would be a Capex but I can’t warrant that money atm.

12. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Get a Nobex Precsion Mitre saw ...
    [​IMG]

I still have one and sometimes it can be ideal tool.

tore81 likes this.