Chop saw

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Oddjob72, Jul 13, 2016.

1. johnh_83

johnh_83 New Member

Sorry to hijack the OP but I am considering buying a new Mitre saw, I want to spend around the £200-£300 mark.

Have you gents got any recommendations?

I will be using it for DIY Jobs only, nothing too strenuous.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bosch GCM 8 SJL here,around £258, maybe less if you search, very pleased with it, see my earlier reply 12.
    And I'm using Freud blades.

3. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I always bought quality gear even if it wasn't for work,we did a load of decking at home and at my lad's house.I bought a Makita LS1013,it's been sat in my loft now for a while and only gets used occasionally,it will definately last me a lifetime.All my gear is decent stuff,Makita routers and sanders,Bosch planner and belt sander,all the drills are dear ones too.The shame is that non of my kids are into diy so when I pop off there won't be anyone to appreciate them.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Buy quailty, buy once, have mostly Bosch, a few Makita tools & two odd Hitachi tools which were new & free off Freecycle.:)

Makita LS1013 was one of their better saw's, their LS1018 isn't a patch on the older models.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I just got rid of a whole lot of tools, even I was amazed at what I had accumulated over the years mainly because when I was doing a job and forgot a tool it was easier (and cheaper) to buy one local rather than waste a day by returning for mine. My kids have either no interest (or too dangerous) to have them! I sold about 30 odd bits and pieces even some that were faulty reached virtually as much as working ones.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

After 35 years, I'm amazed what I've collected building trade tool wise, I also have chests of spanners,sockets,from when I had a proper workshop,which I seldom use now.:(
    Still have mig, arc welders, but I got rid of my acetylene torches, too much hassle getting the gas, & again seldom used, last time was 2010 when I moved here, cut down some large pipes used as clothe posts.:)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

8. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Yup, you said that Earlier.

Don't worry sospan, we all have our off days.

Ps. Were you trying to say something?

KIAB likes this.
  9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I am old ;)

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Time to list them on the auction sites ? It is surprising how much stuff goes for on times. I just sold about 35 items and my workshop still seems full of stuff. Got to find a practical way of storing screws, bolts, wedges, dowel, biscuits etc. fed up of jars, cardboard boxes and those plastic trays that work for a while then fall apart and never have enough room

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Gave up on jars years ago, I have a collection of multi drawer filing cabinets, 9,12,15 & other combinations, got them off Freecycle,a couple for hand tools, another for screws & fixings,etc, also have have a pair of two drawer lateral filing cabinets, cheap off Ebay, brilliant for storing power tools, they live under the work bench, & there just enough space for a shelf fitted over the top of them,so I can store a row boxes for cable, & other bits.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  12. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I bought the Evolution Rage 3 Sliding Mitre Saw off Screwfix last year, and it is working great. Very powerful, and well made stuff. I think I paid £150 for it.

So I went and bought the Evolution Rage 4 Chop saw as well. The blade is 355mm, and this saw can cut anything and everything. Super powerful. Feel like it will last a few life times.