Chuffing Boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DJS, Dec 9, 2003.

1. DJS

DJS New Member

I've recently moved house and the new house has an old boiler which has developed a chuffing noise when the main burner is alight. At times it sounds like a steam train chuffing and at other times as though someone is sawing and occasionally it sounds almost like a rhythmic squeak.
    The pump is quiet - the noise definitely comes from the boiler.
    Any ideas as to what can be causing it?

2. marlboro

marlboro New Member

Hi,

Maybe this is a special thing reserved for those of us who've just moved house! The boiler in my new house is making exactly the same noises - chuffing away like a little train.

There's no noticable change in temp on heating or water. I've tried dropping the boiler thermostat down and that makes no difference (except the chuffing stops when the boiler stops which is probably pretty obvious!). I've bled the system and there doesn't appear to be any air present.

The boilers well ripe for a change anyway (about 15 years old) but wondering if this sounds terminal and if i should hit the yellow pages a bit quicker than i had planned?!

Thanks,
    Marly

3. Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson New Member

I've had this with a poor casing seal on a boiler. I'd suggest you get a CORGI registered engineer out to look at it.

Mike

4. DJS

DJS New Member

Since posting my question back in December my central heating pump packed up a few weeks ago. Having fitted a new one I am amazed at how much quieter the boiler now is!
    OK it still knocks a bit, but quietly, and no more chuffing or wheezing. I assume the old pump just was not pumping hard enough.
    Cheers,
    DJS

5. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I'd be worried if a boiler made a chuf sound considering that a chuff used to mean the same as a*se.
    I hope the boiler doesnt have the same smell.