Church Heating System-using contactors to switch load

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Jun 16, 2009.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Not used contactors before in any of my jobs but wondering if I need to on this one. What I have is approximately 20 no. 180W tubular heaters that I am fitting to the undersides of the rows of pews. I want to time these to switch on for 2 hours before each service. Total load would be switched in groups of 10 so, say, 10 heaters on the LHS and 10 on RHS. 1800W each side. 7-8A so perhaps just switch using standard timers? or would it be better with one timer and 2 sets of contactors? Just wondering which way to go. Anyone help please?

2. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

"If you are an electrician you are an Electrician whichever way you look at it."said unphased from his other ramblings

never used contactors

no hope for you better ask the congregation to pray for you

cheers

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

3. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

I would just use 2 x bog standard time switches, one for each side. Forget about a contactor in this instance.
    Sounds like a nice job UP.

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Wack em all on together using a suitable timer or small contactor and timer, it's only just over 3.5kW in total.

My Kettle is 3kW! :^O

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Definitely best with one time switch for one side and another one for t'other side..at least if one side goes down you still have t'other bank.

6. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I'm working for god next week - wiring up gas heaters in a church in Enfield.

Timers are usually put in a lockable enclosure so interfering busybodies can't mess up the times. Stick a 20A switch before the timer for isolation.

7. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

concvur  *

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I would prefer to see a single contactor installed, controlled by a single time clock.  Use two poles of this single contactor to switch the two circuits.

IMO anyway.

9. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

let them roast in hell

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Guys, the installation is now nearly two years old and is working perfectly okay how I installed it. This is an old post dragged up by mr stupid so no point responding any more. Thanks. :)

11. Lectrician

Hows come the original post shows 21st may 2011?  Or am I missing something?

How did you do it in the end anyway?

12. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

It's cause UP has edited it Lec and hence the date changes.

Tiz a good giveaway if someone notices a bit of a gaff later on and decides to try and sneak a quick edit in on the sly! ;)

If U look at JP's, mine & gerrins posts you'll see they are still original from back in 2009.

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

:) Works a treat.

14. Lectrician

Thats **** isn't it - It should show the original post date and then an "edited by UP on xxx" tag at the bottom like other forums!