Church heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by The Ex-Kitchen Fitter, Dec 19, 2010.

1. First time posting on the new and improved forum!!

A bit of help please.

The heating at my local church has a relatively new Grant boiler which is in good working order and regularily serviced.

The problem comes from the pipe work, as you might imagine its a mixture Victorian cast iron and new copper.

We had a problem this weekend with the overflow freezing up and causing a small flood.  It would seem that the ballcock has been dripping slowly until the header tank was full and a tiny trickle ran down the overflow and froze.  Ultimately this lead to the tank overflowing.  It wasn't a huge amount of water but it landed on a parquet floor.

I'm replacing the ballcock next week and fitting some insulation.

I was wondering whether to replace with plastic or brass, considering that the church gets very cold and the chance of the header freezing exists which material would you recommend ?

Also with the mix of cast iron and copper which (if any) additive should I put in?

Thanks in advance and best wishes for Christmas

TKF

2. hibeealex

hibeealex Member

well its making no difference whether its brass or plastic is it? so use what you like, just insulate all pipe work and tank and I usually use fernox

3. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

dont you have any plumbers in your church?