cipboard flooring damaged by washing up liquid spill

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by johnbythesea, Jul 16, 2015.

1. johnbythesea

johnbythesea New Member

hello

ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

I have a chipboard sheet floating floor, water resistant in a small cabin, most of it has been protected by a vinyl floor apart from a small bit which was under some storage cupboards, I've just discovered, very annoying that I've had a massive washing up liquid spill (at least a couple of liters) which has gone directly onto and into the flooring. Its pretty soaked in in places. my worry is rot, I've cleaned as much as i can with paper towels and its currently been left to dry out. Any advice on how to protect the wood post spill or any reassurance that my floor will not rot away.....

2. Surely if it's water-resistant (the green stuff) it'll be perfectly fine?

Give it a darned good mopping, and leave it exposed to dry. If it's still solid, it'll remain so.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I can now envisage johnbythesea floating by the sea of tidal foam created by a good mopping on 2 litres of fairy liquid!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blub blub......ºººO O O O

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

KIAB and Rulland like this.
  4. johnbythesea

johnbythesea New Member

It's pretty soaked in. It seems to be drying out but i'm still concerned about lasting damage....

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I don't think it will cause harm. You could always chuck some sawdust or dry sand down to speed up the drying process.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. It'll hardly 'dry out' as I'm not sure that washing liquid is a drying out type of liquid?

Is the chipboard flooring surface ok? Solid?

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You may end up with bad staining due to amount of salt in washing liquid, but I wouldn't expect it to do much damage to the flooring.