Circ. Pump Spins Only if Spun w/ screwdriver

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Eli Mel, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Eli Mel

Eli Mel New Member

Hello,

TL;DR:
    My DAB water circulation pump only starts spinning if I help it by turning the inner screw (the one connected to the blades, revealed by unscrewing the big brass screw) back and forth a couple of times using a screwdriver. After that it works properly until switched off and then back on.

---
    Long Version:

Yesterday my central heating system wasn't working. The burner and heater were working but the radiators did not hear up.

After inspecting the installations, I found out my DAB water circulation pump which pumps the hot water to my radiators wasn't spinning.

I unscrewed the big brass screw to check if it was jammed. Using a screwdriver I turned the inner screw connected to the blade and it didn't feel jammed or stuck. So I tried to spin it back and forth a couple of times and it started to spin and pump the water properly, and didn't stop until I turned it off 6 hours later

However, the issue was not resolved. I realized today that I have to repeat the whole process every time I need to switch on the heating. It doesn't spin by itself unless I give it a couple manual spins using a screwdriver (i tested it a multiple of times by switching it on and off).

I hope someone can shed some light on what the issue could be, and if there is any DIY solution to getting it fixed.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

New pump time !

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  3. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

You might get away with a new capacitor for the pump. If it gets hot and / or buzzes when it should be on but is not spinning this can (but doesn't always) signify that the motor start / run capacitor is faulty. They are usually around 8 microfarads, but rated for 400 (+) volts AC. If you know what you are doing, and can test to ensure all power is off, you might try changing it as a low cost diagnosis. Make sure the power to the whole house is off and that a new capacitor will physically fit.

4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Bearing shot and shaft sticking.

Eli Mel likes this.
  5. Eli Mel

Eli Mel New Member

Thank you all for replying.

I asked a friend of mine who happens to be a plumber, and he believes it could be a faulty capacitor as well.

I will give it a shot and will definitely follow all safety precautions.

I'll keep you posted.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  6. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

New cap should be within 10% rating of exisiting cap.

Eli Mel likes this.