Circuit breaker keeps tripping?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by PHILPH, Feb 24, 2019.

1. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Hi,

Could I ask for some advice please.

Yesterday I disconneded my pull switch for the light in the bathroom as I fitting one of those plastic panel ceilings therefore I just taped the wires up as a short measure as I was putting the panels up today.

I was watching the rugby yesterday afternoon (skiving from doing the ceiling!) and the TV and power went off in my living room and dining room,and bedrooms, all lights were fine and I luckily had power in the kitchen.

This is still happening today, TV is on for about half an hour then the curcuit breaker trips?

Ive looked at the consumer unit and I'm sure theres a slight buzz from it (the circuit breaker) and it feels slightly hot?

Does this happen, and could it be the breaker just needs replaced?

Any info would be appreciated, and I am going to try and get an electrician out tomorrow.

Regards
    Phil

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Have you accidentally taped the wires such that bare copper is touching together? Are you saying that everything was ok prior to doing the light switch and do you think it is related or asking if there is a coincidence?

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I would think the lighting circuit and power circuit are unrelated, it would seem you have an overload, (slight buzz from it (the circuit breaker) and it feels slightly hot) points to overload. Be it even a 16A MCB this is a lot of current, clearly even worse if a 32A MCB, with a 32A MCB one would expect the 13A fuse to blow, so question one is size of MCB.

And question two have you unplugged all items not being used?

To be big enough to trip a 16A MCB looking at room heaters, boilers, etc to take that much current.

4. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Think you have missed a bit, all you have done is repeat my post twice.

6. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Sorry,

I wasn't quite sure how to reply as it's a while since Ive been on here and the format has changed.

This is strange and the full picture is this.

After I heard the buzzing last night I thought it could be coming from my smart meter so I rang Northern Power and they were great as they sent someone straight out (he said better safe than sorry) when I mentioned the sound may have been the meter, anyway he turned up and checked everything and all was fine, course 10 minutes after he left it tripped, so it's definatley nothing to do with the meter.

I even connected the light switch back up for the chap calling and showed him it working, just incase it had been something to do with the loose connecton of the light wires.

It's really strange as this is is still happening, and the only thing I touched was this switch which is only 2 wires and I feel competent enough to do this, and wouldn't dream of doing anything more of this.

Even tried a different TV incase it was this was the problem.

I'm sure it's just coincidence but it is baffling?

7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I am not a Spark, but electrician told me that some of the old circuit breakers start to buzz and knock off occasionally when they start to go faulty

seneca likes this.
  8. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Sorry, should have mentioned the breaker is a 32A

9. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

have you put any screws or nails in since it started happening.

10. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Is it a circuit breaker, or an RCD that trips?

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Quite common that.

Heat likes this.
  12. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Reply for the last few questions.

Definatley no nails or screws in the cable, and as for the the thing that trips, I'm taking it's the circuit breaker?

It has switch that you flick up when it trips and has a few red wires going into it from what I can see, mind I'm no spark to say the least.

It's currently on and Ive got a table lamp on and it's powering my router but as soon as you put the TV on after 15 20 minutes, off it all goes.

She who must be obeyed is not happy at all as it looks like no Call the Midwife tonight!

Regards
    Phil

13. spirits are real 2016

have you checked the socket where the TV is plugged in for loose wires

14. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

I haven't to be honest, could this be the cause?

I'm assuming (again, not a spark) that its got something to do with the curcuit breaker with it buzzing and getting warm?

15. spirits are real 2016

yes check for loose wires in socket it could be arching in the socket causing mcb to make funny noises and heat up.
    turn power off first in case when you pull socket front forward cables come out.

16. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If all circuits are working OK until you switch TV on ,try plugging the TV into a different socket , (via an extension lead maybe ). And don't have anything plugged into the socket that the TV currently uses.

17. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Just checked socket, no loose wires!

18. spirits are real 2016

have you checked mcb for loose wires and buzz bar with main power switched off.

19. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Does is the MCB actually an RCBO? Does it have a test button?

Post a photo of the one that is tripping...

20. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Also, what else is on the circuit with the TV?

Have you recently added a new electric heater or anything like that?