Circuit Requirements for built-in ovens?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by SuffolkPunch, Aug 7, 2018.

1. SuffolkPunch

SuffolkPunch New Member

Hi, I'm reconfiguring our kitchen and intend to install 2 built-in Neff ovens. One oven is rated at 3.45Kw the other at 3.3kw (both max loads). Do I need two cooker circuits or will one 6mm T&E circuit with with two boxes and a 32amp fuse suffice?

2. Should be fine, just DIY here. Reason is:
    32A * 230V = 7.36KW
    3.45 + 3.3 = 6.75KW

Add in diversity (both ovens won't both be on full tilt, at least not for any serious amount of time).

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Well-Known Member

Terminating 6mm into an oven should be fun:p

4. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Why??

[​IMG]

Magicspark likes this.
  5. sparkykent

sparkykent New Member

When you have got a bit more experience and a bit more upstairs between the ears you will discover that it's not that hard to terminate 6mm cable if you possess the necessary intellect and tools.
    I've terminated 240mm armoured cables a few times it was easy to me but it's not something you would be capable of.

Magicspark likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

Haven't your drugs kicked in yet?

7. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

Most kitchens we do now we run 1x6mm for an induction hob and 2x2.5 20A feeds for 2 ovens or an oven and a microwave/combi. If the ovens or microwaves come with a plug then we fit a socket onto the end of the 20A radial or a DP switch if they are rated higher.

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

How on earth did you get the 240mm2 in to the oven?

9. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

I saw someone manipulate and terminate a 180mm2 3 phase armoured once like it was a bit of flex, I struggle with 3 core 25mm.

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The bigger the cable the easier it is to terminate. The difficult part is the physical weight of the thing, like wrestling a conger eel.

11. SuffolkPunch

SuffolkPunch New Member

Thanks for all the advice (and banter). I'd rather keep it to a single circuit if possible hence the 6mm with two boxes.

12. spinlondon

spinlondon Well-Known Member

They do make a dual outlet box for cookers.

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Dual outlet plate would be your best bet, as Spin suggested.