Circuit Segregation

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jonny, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Jonny

Jonny New Member

What do you guys think about having separate circuits within a single enclosure, for example, a two-gang plateswitch, with each switch operating a light on a different circuit than the other. I always considered it bad practice, just in case someone turns off one MCB, finds that the light near the switch no longer works, then proceeds to replace the switch, whilst the other switch cable is still live. However, I've seen it done so many times (hall/landing switching with landing light on upstairs lighting circuit), that I'm wondering how acceptable this is?

Similarly, how about two T&E circuit cables from a CU entering the same enclosure to connect with two SWA cables, feeding different locations in the garden?

I've always maintained segregation, but am now questioning this...

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    Jon.

2. steve CF

steve CF New Member

ideally there should be a label advising the fact that the switches are isolated at 2 different locations and are on 2 separate circuits

but how many people are going to want a big label stuck on there nice brass switch

but at the end of the day its down to the electrician to practice safe isolation procedure and ebsure the switch is dead before changing

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Its fine, but should be labelled as supplied from multiple sources. Like to see that on a hall/landing switch :)

4. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Anybody who, having seen that there are 2 lighting circuits, doesn't properly check what's going to a 2-gang 2-way switch controlling lights on different floors deserves to fry.

Support Darwin. Raise the quality of the gene pool by electrocuting an idiot today.