Circular saw blades!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by leechy, Sep 8, 2004.

1. leechy

leechy New Member

I have a load of blades that are blunt, damn worktops! but are in good condition overall.

Can I sharpen them myself? if so how? or should I get them done at a shop? can someone reccomend somewhere?

cheers

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Get it done, will cost £10-20 depending on number of teeth.

Where are you.

Jason

3. leechy

leechy New Member

Jase

I'm in Reading, Berkshire!

Do you know anywhere?

4. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Not my neck of the woods

Try local tool shops and hire shops, my local ones don't do it in house but have a weekly service so if you know what day the van comes round you will only be without the blades for 8 days.

If your only using cheap quality blades it may just be worth replacing them, but if its a decent one you should get about 4-5 sharpenings out of it as they usually have thicker teeth to start with. I assume you are talking TCT blades?

Jason

Jason

5. stu888

stu888 New Member

OK. Circular saw blades. Small Rant. Why can't I find 170mm ones? Not even on E-bay. I lie. Found one in June in Focus and haven't seen one since. Seriously. And that cost 2/3 the price of the (B&D) saw. What's that about?

6. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

Stu88,

B&D still make a 170mm saw so a B+d supplier should have them. And Trend make them.

Search on Google for 170mm blade.

they seem to be around £25.

7. wood butcher

wood butcher New Member

try a tool hire centre they normaly have a tool sharpening service

8. bonnie the botch

bonnie the botch New Member

HI ALL , i saw some blades on ebay last year the prices were fantastic the sizes all ok but the seller woulnt post outside the poxy usa , woundme right up .

9. JMH

JMH New Member

get them sharpend, they'll be better than new. If Harlow is any where near to you try Leitz Tooling. (01279) 454530

10. taffy

taffy New Member

bin um you can buy new ones cheaper at www.woodfordwm.co.uk

11. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I'm with JMH on this.
    They are likely to be reground better than when new.
    It was my experience on Milling machines for 30 years that regrinds cut better than new cutters.

12. 2be2

2be2 New Member

Try Wokingham Tools, 97 Wokingham Road, in Reading.

13. 2be2

2be2 New Member

... or the tool shop on Kings Road, a few shops towards town from the Warwick Arms. Last time cost 20p/tooth.

14. jasonb

jasonb New Member