cladding a railway arch to prevent damp

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by leave, Feb 12, 2019.

1. leave

leave New Member

Hi there,

I've just leased a railway arch for my business (photographer), and the walls have significant damp. I'm going ot install a DPC on the floor, and top it with screed, but I'm wondering what the best course of action is for the walls, which are wet to the touch. Does anyone have any advice on the cheapest, fastest solution for this?

I'm assuming it's some kind of cladding, but my research is bringing up a lot of options I can't sift through.

I'm not fussed about it looking aesthetically pleasing, I really just need it to be functional and at the very least, completely hide the presence of damp to anyone in the studio with me.

There, also, some exposed brick areas which I do not want to clad, and would like an idea on what to treat the brick with in a way that will allow me to render the wall and paint!

Thanks so much

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

How long has the arch been empty? What was it used for prior.

Get some dehumidifiers in, get some heat in there, get some ventilation fitted, get doors tuned up, any gutters cleared etc before embarking on any drastic work.

3. leave

leave New Member

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I'm really just trying to find out about my options for cladding/lining, though.

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Ok. But the advice stands as you need to dry the place out thoroughly before even considering to start any work.

If you just cover up the damp its a recipe for trouble.

Powerelec likes this.
  5. leave

leave New Member

Those are all definite options I'm going to explore, but I'm looking for solutions for cladding/lining.

It's not much trouble as far as I can work out. The damp has been there for as long as the arch has. If I install a drainage system and a sump, then I can just redirect the water around the internal lining and not have to worry about it. If I install dehumidifiers, heating, ventilation, etc, then it's just an ongoing cost that never actually solves the problem, since the ingress of water is completely unavoidable.

When I tanked my outside toilet, I just put up cavity membrane and some drainage channels, and haven't have any problems with it since.

If I completely line the entire arch, and I install a DPC under a screed base, then I don't have to worry about anything external to me, surely?

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Most solutions involve building an arched tin shed inside the arch.

7. leave

leave New Member

Can you elaborate?

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I cannot help thinking that this isnt the right location for a studio.

All this work is going to cost a fortune.

Astramax likes this.
  9. leave

leave New Member

OK, I've popped Goldenboy on ignore, because he's insufferably negative, and doesn't particularly seem to want to offer any advice. So weird how people just want to rain negativity down on projects, must be a frustrating guy to work with.

If anyone has any specific advice about lining an archway, that would be great!

Just want to know what my options are in terms of materials, I'm thinking about a PVC cladding from Rockwell Plastics, but am open to hear other input about competing materials in this sector.

10. leave

leave New Member

Ah yes, thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking at getting. Same company. I've priced up materials, and they're coming in at 4000 + vat for the arch and walls. Then there's fitting obviously, which I assume will be another 4k or so again.

It doesn't seem too costly, but for some reason, something is telling me there's a cheaper way to go about it. Do you think this is my best bet?

11. leave

leave New Member

Hey now, those are incredibly cheap. Do you have any experience using them? That might be exactly what I'm looking for. What I like about the Rockwell solution is that they seem to have a really tightly integrated system for creating an inner cover, but I don't know if it's overkill for someone just looking to stop water from coming into the space!

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I have offered lots of advice. And decent advice.

I also have loads more to offer.

And what is the benefit of insulting people just because they don't give the answers you want.

I would hazard a guess that plenty of decent contributors on here will take a dim view of your attitude and not bother with advising you.

And with the greatest of respect if you want a dry presentable studio for photographic work then leasing a damp railway arch was not the wisest idea.

You are going to spend a fortune seemingly bodging a half baked solution to what really is never going to be a decent job.

As for raining negativity? How about redefining that as offering sensible advice.

As for people having trouble working with me. Perhaps you should speak to the clients of mine that I have done work for for the last 15 years. Or the chaps I have worked with on jobs for the same amount of time. They seem alright with it all.

If you come on a forum asking advice and its not what you want to hear isn't it a bit childish to essentially stick your fingers in your ears and say "na na na I cant hear you?"

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Dam0n, Powerelec, Jord86 and 3 others like this.
  13. No,I have never used them or vouch for the quality of the materials.

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Plenty of people do employ me though mate.

And value my advice

And have done for years.

Thought you had me on ignore by the way.

With the absolute greatest of respect you aren't going to win yourself any friends on here with your attitude.

Particularly as you have pretty much managed to insult every tradesman on here with your anti English sentiment.

Not sure I will be needing your services as a photographer by the way.

Already married and have just renewed my passport.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

This is beginning to read like you are probably trying to save money on the contractors as well as the materials used.

WillyEckerslike and goldenboy like this.
  16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I am sure "contractors" will be queueing up to participate in this prestigious project.

17. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

18. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Good god.....................................is this really some idiot seriously looking for someone to work for him ? Sometimes forums of all sorts really do begger belief.

goldenboy likes this.