Cladding a shed

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Lewis Gifford, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Lewis Gifford

Lewis Gifford New Member

alright everyone!

So here the score, I’m building a shed/future man cave! It’ll be 4.6x2.2, at the end of the garden so only the front will be seen. For the front I’m thinking featheredge or board on board.
    Not really feeling making up the other 3 sides nice and to be fair just want to keep it cheap!

Thinking either 9/12mm ply all round OR 22mm Caberdeck flooring (I can get it all VERY cheap from work - wouldn’t dream of it otherwise) can them running round it with a vapour barrier/membrane/something else that’ll keep the rain out?

Unless there’s any other ideas?

Cheers guys!

2. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

If you use the flooring idea you would have to have a vapor barrier then clad it with something on the outside. The cheapest thing I can think of is feather edged fencing boards (horizontal) which have worked very well for me on various sheds. In fact you could just do it with feather edge and a vapor barrier and insulation on the inside. But the flooring will soak up water after a few months if not protected. Also plywood will de-laminate.

3. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Black rubber membrane , or coloured tarpaulin
    Batten the top , small trench around base to tuck the bottom in and hold taught as well as a rodent deterrent

4. Lewis Gifford

Lewis Gifford New Member

cheers for the replies! Found a better supplier of feather edge so the prices have come down! seems a waste cladding the 3 unseen sides in nice feather edge but its got to be a better option than osb or ply seeing as i cant get to the othersides when they fail...

pavatron likes this.
  5. pavatron

pavatron New Member

Does anyone know of any suppliers of exterior cladding near Bristol?

I'm after 27m2 - ideally I wanted to use treated shiplap or similar, but featheredge would work too to keep the price down.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Quite a few timber merchants in Bristol, further afield Timberclad & Code 6 Timber Suppliers, both in Bridgwater probably too far.

https://timberclad.co.uk

http://www.code6timber.co.uk/home/4583330085

You might be able to find cedar,larch,cladding seconds,may have marks,etc,but prefect for the front of a shack,sides could be something else as it's out of sight.

Can't think of anywhere in Bristol,further afield, Cedar Direct at Warminster.

7. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

8. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. pavatron

pavatron New Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - very helpful.
    I've been finding the prices of cladding vary wildly from supplier to supplier.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As does the quailty.

pavatron likes this.