Claiming for Work Wear Washing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Simon J, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Simon J

Simon J New Member

Does anyone claim against their tax for washing their work clothes?

If so how much do you claim per week?

2. GKU

GKU New Member

Yes mate , I think you'll find that it is a fixed figure for everyone ;)

3. mully123

mully123 New Member

I claim 3pence a year for Daz,Oxydol and double 2 shirts.

4. supachip

supachip New Member

£3 a week i think

5. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

the more you claim the more you'll get, each job has different levels of grime, but don't take the ****, allow for 5 changes of cloths per week, and buy new 2 pairs trousers 2 shirts 1 pullover 1 jacket 2 pairs boots per year, then saftey gear gloves googles dust masks hats hi vis vests and over the year its a substantial claim.

6. dryliner essex

dryliner essex New Member

old wifes tale

7. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

There are a few firms who offer to get you tax back if you've been washing your own work cloths in exchange for a small charge.
    It can all add up to quite a tidy sum as they go back years and years (so I'm told)!

8. billy2412

billy2412 New Member

if you do a tax return just put on the form. if you dont call your tax office, they are helpful and tell them what you want to claim for and that you what to back date a claim.
    You need to claim for uniforn or stuff ( boilersuit work trousers ect)that you would not wear unless you had to. ( ie if you work in tracky bottoms then they will say you would wear them & clean them anyway)

9. dryliner essex

dryliner essex New Member

claim for any thing but when you get investigated years down the line then try to justify what you have been claiming for.i claim £80 a week for the wife,all set up on a standing order so i have proof that money is being paid out

10. Bonedry

Bonedry New Member

I read somewhere that if you are claiming tax releif on things like this or lighting,electricity,phone line etc for the business that you will be subject to Capital Gains Tax when you come to sell the house.

Guess you would have to be claiming a lot but you never know..

11. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

is being paid out

use an accountant,that way if the tax man pulls you in, he's the man with the worry, after all I'm just a plumber,
    figures can lie, and liars can figure ;)

12. imran_

imran_ New Member

£120 per annum. Already defined by HMRC. You cannot claim for wear and tear or purchase, see Mallalieu v Drummond [1983].

Your employer is obliged to provide any PPE you need.

If you wish to make part of your house "business use" then CGT applies. Equally you mey be required to purchase separate insurance, etc.

13. "use an accountant,that way if the tax man pulls you in, he's the man with the worry, after all I'm just a plumber,"

Err no, accountants will put in a 'clause' in your accounts like <u>'figures and receipts provided by client' and</u> if/when you are investigated, your accountant would most likely charge a little fortune for any meetings with HMRC.

14. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

imram....your employer should provide ppe,,,yes , i am my employer,

midnight cowboy,,,err yes, i know of my accountants ways, he offers me a policy so should i get pulled, he will provide full support.

but hey,,why should i give you guys tips,, if you wanna pay your dues, good on ya, if everyone 'fiddled' .the country would not be able to dole out money to the needy social benefit cliamants, and that would be a shame now would.t it

15. imran_

imran_ New Member

* imram....your employer should provide ppe,,,yes , i
    * am my employer,

Then you already reclaim VAT and offset the cost against tax. What more do you want.

For washing it's £120 - already defined, no arguments :)

16. GKU

GKU New Member

imran is "correct a mundo" ;)

17. RASP-GRASP

RASP-GRASP New Member

imran, is dead right, buy the way , you are responsible for your tax return, not the accountant,they put down what you tell them, you tell them porkies, & the tax queries it, you carry the can, then there is v a t, & they are worse.

18. imran_

imran_ New Member

I was always taught never to lie to:
    1. The VAT man
    2. The TAX man
    3. God

In that order of importance!

19. Simon J

Simon J New Member

I would have asked my accountant but currently we are in a position of 'strained relations' i.e. I've told them they charge far too much for the little work they do so I'm moving to another accountants.

I thought £3 - £5 a week seems fair if I have a change of gear every day and they get washed and put in the drier.

All accountants have slippery shoulders, quite right, they do have clause and on year end accounts always state information provided by the client. This negates their liability of providing false information and the spot light then falls on you.

You may be interested to know you can take out a yearly insurance to cover the expenses of using and accountant and solicitor if you get investigated by the tax man. I think I pay £130 a year. You might have to stump up monies that are owed to the tax man but it's worth it as these accountants and solicitors charge a fortune per hour, and people call plumbers!

20. imran_

imran_ New Member

You could take out insurance, but in so doing the tax man can claim you never intended to file a tax return. Which would be classed as tax evasion and illegal.

The tax man has much greater powers than banks, etc. And of course they can get you a criminal record, and if unlucky a jail sentence. To them owing millions or a few thousand is the same - except it's easier to prosecute the small man :(

A good accountant should make you money, not cost you money!