Clamps to fit in work-mate

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mike C, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Mike C

Mike C New Member

My Dad has a set of Black & Decker clamps that are designed to fit into the holes in his work mate but that he uses in his work bench. They basically work through friction with a rubberised insert fitting into the whole in the bench to hold the clamp. The clamp itself is metal with a rubber foot and looks something like a set-aquare from the side. I know this is not a great description but if anyone knows where I can get these I'd be very grateful. Screwfix do some work bench clamps (ref 17359)but you need to be able to get underneath the bench to adjust/move these which is a real pain and limits use to near the edge of the bench.

2. WOLF

WOLF New Member

that my dear chap is called a "bench dog", it works on the friction between it self and the inside edge of the whole, personnally i do not know if good old b & d still make them, i know companies like BRIMARC and RUTLANDS do supply them, but due to the quality of their makers, they are expensive, and also you may not be able to get one of the correct bar width to fit a work mate

3. WOLF

WOLF New Member

i forgot....most people may call them holdfasts, and they are usually supplied with the benches. just checked and rutlands do one by Dakota for only £16.95, but it is a basic item..and the shaft dia is 7/8 of an inch....

4. graybags

graybags New Member

try www.axminster.co.uk, they do a wide range of bench dogs and pups.

5. Mike C

Mike C New Member

Excellent. Thanks for the help. I actually want the clamps/dogs/pups to fit in my (self made) work bench which as yet has no holes. I am therefore fairly flexible about the shaft size and will try the sites you have suggested.