Clean dried silicone off without damaging the rest

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Stuart Melvin, May 9, 2021.

1. Stuart Melvin

Stuart Melvin Member

Hey all. Not sure if this is the right area for this one but theres no bathroom fitters bit so...

I've just fitted a new bath panel which butts up against the lip of the bath at the top. We siliconed between the two but failed to get it completely cleaned off the panel where it squished out. So...

I need to clean the panel right up to the bath lip but without damaging the seal itself. Would methylated spirits work or might this disolve the seal itself?

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Pull the whole thing apart, remove the old silicone, redo as before, but this time use a finishing tool. You will NOT be able to do a decent job of it any other way.

3. Stuart Melvin

Stuart Melvin Member

Haha thanks I know that but no can do so now not trying to make a decent job of it just the best one I can.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

My post wasn't a joke ... it's seriously the only way of doing it properly. Even the most skilled surgeon with a surgically sharp blade will not be able to tidy up a messy silicone job. It's really nowhere near as difficult a job as you seem to think it is.

Stuart Melvin likes this.
  5. Stuart Melvin

Stuart Melvin Member

I didnt take it as a joke and I appreciate it. I laughed only because I know you are right and was anticipating that answer but the panel is stuck on to the side of the bath in such a way that I simply cant remove it without causing lots of other issues. So I have no choice but to do the best I can.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Perhaps your not planning on staying in the property so this is a fix and make do job ?

As you said, your not looking at a decent job of it

Depends on what the panel is made of ?
    If that thin, bendy plastic/acrylic/ easily scratches so the usual tool for silicone removal would be a snap off craft knife type instrument but, again, need to be careful of the panel and causing damage

Meths is good for cleaning surfaces and de-greasing prior to new silicone being applied - I’m fairly sure it won’t remove cured silicon though

Maybe, carefully, cut through the silicone overspill with tip of knife blade and then apply silicone remover to just the area to be removed

No Nonsense silicone remover from SF works well - will eat away the seal also so just ‘paint’ onto the waste areas, leave 5 or so minutes then wipe away with damp cloth

Without removing panel as Roger suggests, don’t think you have many options

Feel sorry for the person who has to remove panel when the bath waste or taps are leaking in the future :eek:

rogerk101 likes this.
  7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

You might get away with a sharp chisel if you want to leave the panel in place