Clean Spirit

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Astramax, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago during an exchange with Wayners he recommended cleaning brushes in a liquid called Clean Spirit, to be fair I had never heard of this brush cleaner prior to our forum conversation so bought some from my suppliers last week. It is biodegradable cleans water base, oil/solvent base and even cleaned Zinsser BIN (shellac), absolutely amazing drop of gear, doesn't smell and can well recommend to get some in, price is compatible to White Spirit or other brush cleaning fluids of the same volume. Top marks to Wayners a great step forward in brush cleaning and added to that it is faster to use than so called conventional brush cleaners. Thank's for the tip Wayners.:):);)

Wayners, WillyEckerslike and KIAB like this.
  2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

I bought some a while ago and found it useless on oil based!

Don't know if it's relevant, but it's Wickes own brand?

Cando.

3. Astramax

Know what you mean as I initially thought the same until I read the cleaning procedure.

4. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Member

I bought loads of bottles from B&Q a few years ago. Special Clearance offer 50p each for 1L.
    USELESS product. Doesn't clean off oil based paints. Back to white spirit straightaway. Not sure about water based paints on brushes and rollers - you may as well use tap water. Now I know why B&Q were clearing it out.
    If you live in Bristol - you can have my loads of it free from my garage.

5. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Yes it dose clean oil based paints. Not to be confused up with low spirit. Takes a good 24+ hours to work though so let your brushes sit in it. I have never seen for sale in B&Q though. Also when it gets dirty it stops cleaning so you need to dispose and pour some more fresh for next round.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Wayners / Astra

Does it also work with Hammerite paint ?

Only diy me but like lots of peeps I guess, ?, been using more and more water based paints so usage of white spirit has diminished (as has sales I would imagine)

Still I keep meths for cleaning Zinnser BIN and cellulose thinners (or xylene -probably same thing ?) for cleaning Hammerite

Would be amazing to use one product to clean all paint types

Clean Spirit sounds almost magical :)

7. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

I don't know about Hammerite. I always throw brush after using it. Guess there is a one way to find out. May take a few days and a spirit change after a day or so to give it chance. I'll try it and report back here

8. Astramax

Cleaned Ronseal No Rust brush in it last week with no problem also Zinsser BIN brush, again no problem, also moments ago cleaned a paintbrush with oil based on, all fine so don't know what diy_nixy has purchased the one I bought was from Brewers (Painters Merchant) and called Hippo Clean Spirit, totally brilliant, so good shout Wayners :)

9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

There a few products floating around called Clean Spirit marketed by different peeps,Bartoline,Diall,Wickes,& Hippo.

Going to try the Hippo one,Astra's recommodation is good enough for me.:)

Astramax likes this.
  10. Astramax

Honestly KIAB I really find it amazing, forget past techniques and follow the instructions on container........a real doddle! ;)

11. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Bartoline from homebase or The range. B&M stores is also good.Wickes want £6 for 2lt so can keep it. £3.50 for 2lt is about the best price I found

Astramax likes this.
  12. Astramax

Thought xylene was on the nasty list and removed altogether from Hammerite to comply with 2010 VOC.

13. DIYDave.

Don’t know if xylene is actually in Hammerite or not but use it for cleaning brushes after using it. Presume it’s the same/similiar to cellulose thinners ? Don’t actually know but always used it to clean brushes after Hammerite

Not sure if SF sell it ?
    Last bottle was from TS about a month ago

14. Astramax

I have some hammerite so will try the Clean Spirit over the weekend to see if it cleans that also.

15. DIYDave.

Cheers dude, would be interesting if one product cleaned so many different paint types

Even better for you pro guys, simplified cleaning and less products to hold in stock