cleaning of gloss paints

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by decorating machine, Nov 19, 2004.

1. decorating machine

decorating machine New Member

can anyone tell me how to get gloss out of my brushes and rollers. as terps and white spirits don't seem to work anymore. please any tips would be more than welcome here

2. PowerTool

PowerTool New Member

Butyl acetate,if you can get hold of some - may need something else if it's low-odour water-based (presumably water.. ;) )

3. Dewy

Dewy New Member

1st time I used butyl acetate I used a plastic jar to clean the brushes in.
    It melted the plastic making a mess everywhere. lmao
    I still hate that pear drop smell.

4. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi DM,

I do throw a load of cheap brushes rather than clean them but of late I have become a little more parsimonious and I clean them. This is the method I use
    on oil based paint:

Scrape off as much paint as possible back into the can using the rim. Get some newspaper and squeegee the bristles with a blunt straight edge (an off cut of thin MDF will do) on to the newspaper. Get a sandwich bag and pour some white spirit in and work the bristles with your hand. Clean off with newspaper. Dip the brush up and down in a container (I use old sweet corn cans) with some white spirit to get the last bits out. Rub down again with newspaper. Run under hot tap with fairy liquid in can a couple of times and dry off with kitchen roll. Job done.

Easier to chuck 'em away.

Professionals use a vapour box to keep the brushes from drying out so they never fully clean them off. I have seen brushes put in water over night, where oil paint is used. The water cannot stick to the oil but it prevents drying out as well. In the morning give them a good whipping and the water runs off. Ready to go.

Hope this helps,

DWD