Cleaning up door handle screw holes

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by JimmyNorwich, Mar 26, 2018.

1. JimmyNorwich

JimmyNorwich Member

After replacing a traditional rectangle shaped internal door handle to a round bolt-through variety, I'm left with a bit of a mess where the 4 screw holes went (see photos).

IMG_20180326_193103367.jpg IMG_20180326_192824365.jpg IMG_20180326_192759791.jpg

Any recommendations for how to best patch these up? I was planning on sanding them down as best I can, trying to keep the sanding as local to the screw hole area as possible. I'm not sure if this is the best way though. Also, given that these doors are moulded/hollow, how would I patch the hole up? Would filler just fall in and through the hole?

Any advice much appreciated.

Jimmy.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

At that point the door should be solid, if it isnt the doors been fitted the wrong way around.

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

If you drill out the high point with say a 7mm drill not going any deeper than a countersunk, in fact you cound use a countersunk if you have one, you should be able to fill the holes making them look like the door.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Done this myself a few times and easy to make screw holes disappear

Lightly sand down holes to remove raised area

Fill holes using either powdered filler or I prefer Ronseal 2 part wood filler (or similiar product) push filler well into holes

As above, this section of the ‘hollow’ door will / should be solid with a block of wood fitted between the skins. This allows the lock / latch to be chopped in and a secure fixing for handles

Sand down flush with door, P120/180

Where the fake grain runs through the filler patches, replicate this by scratching with a nail (works for me) to continue the grain pattern

Either just dab a little paint over filler patches or best option, paint complete door

Damage should disappear with little effort - good luck

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Good luck, I’ve never been able to get a good finish with these holes, be interested to see when it’s finished.

Bla

Astramax likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Really ?

It’s not difficult to do, just a little time, patience and technique

Basic decorating stuff that’s all

:)

7. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Tap a matchstick into the holes, chop them off flush, tap them and the hole in with a hammer or screwdriver handle, fill, shape, paint.

8. JimmyNorwich

JimmyNorwich Member

Thanks, everyone. I've just sanded them down and they already look tidier. However, the plonkers who put the doors up seem to have put them on the wrong way round and so the holes really do go in to a hollow. I'll try the matchstick that @HarDeBloodyHarHar mentions.

Jimmy.

9. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Blimey, you might have trouble with matchsticks if it is hollow!

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A squirt of foam in the holes may help but don't get it in the latch mechanism - in fact take the latch/lock out and direct the foam in that way.

Jord86 likes this.
  11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Foam is a good lifesaver for this.

Also when fitting new handles opt for a bolt through fixing instead.

There are probably millions of doors in the UK fitted the wrong way round!

There are definitely a fair few wrong way round and upside down too!

12. IWANTBLUE

IWANTBLUE New Member

anybody got some 'after' shots of this repair at all??
    I have the same issue to overcome but am worried about the ability to overcome these holes on every door, and the potential labour involved etc, to then still end up very noticeable?
    To make matters worse, the Cowboys had made two sets of holes in some of the doors too , although they appear to have used 'self-tapping' method to fit the screws as the fibreboard is very blown out(mountain) and virtually fills the hole when pressed/hammered back in would it still be best to hammer in a cocktail sticks or match stick then wood filler ?even though there will not really be a hole to fill? just worried that the texture will be absorbent and draw the paint in giving it a different appearance?

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

For £20 fit a new door. Sometimes they are cheaper but I don't muck about now. Fill edges so smooth and paint hinge and latch areas while furniture is off looks so much better

IWANTBLUE likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You will always no matter how good the repair is notice them...................bring back door scratch plates.;)

IWANTBLUE likes this.
  15. IWANTBLUE

IWANTBLUE New Member

That's a shame, and doubly annoying as the doors are nor even 18 months old, although the hinges are pretty **** to be fair, and the contract handles done for cheapness, to sell the property, frustrating that the handles we want and like are the smaller round rose fitment so the best idea would be replacing them, but with the cost of the Bungalow and other works required that best part of a couple of hundred pound we could do without really, thanks for the feedback though guys.. best place for new doors? or is this a 'closed shop' :D

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  16. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

For new doors look at XL Joinery - a good range in various finishes. Good quality and at sensible prioces. They sell though various trade outlets either online or if you have anyone local.

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This is just basic decorating skills required to get these doors looking way better than they do now

Seems crazy replacing doors for the sake of 4 screw holes on each side - that can be filled and painted and made to ‘disappear’

Sure, these doors are around £20 quid each but whose gonna fit them ? You ? A chippie ?

If not you, then they’re gonna cost more to have fitted than to buy..... and your on a budget

As above, sand down raised area around screw hole or trim with a craft knife blade held flat against door face. Make sure no raised area remains

2 part filler (Ronseal is good) Even if there’s no lock block on some doors, due to being fitted wrong way round, the few mm of hardboard face will be thick enough for the filler to grip onto and make a firm repair

Force filler in screw holes with scraper/filling knife and scrape away excess - allow to set (ten mins approx) Keep filler local to repair, you only need small amount, don't smear it all over door face

Sand down using P120

Use a sharp nail or tip of craft knife blade to replicate wood grain that’s now been covered by filler and scratch through filler

Primer/Undercoat to filler then topcoat in whatever paint has been used on doors

For best results, paint entire door

Minimal material costs here and no labour costs, just some of your time and patience

Absolute madness replacing doors for the sake of 8 screw holes

Even if you don’t get the holes to disappear completely (but you should) they will look better than they do now (or should do) :eek:

Nothing to loose, only gain so go for it ......... replace doors ......... Pffffffffff ;)

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Post a picture please Dave.

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Don’t feel the need to document every task I complete and not necessarily at my own house either

Will take a look if I have picture at some stage but can’t guarantee

20. IWANTBLUE

IWANTBLUE New Member

I agree Dave, was only going with the previous suggestions that you won't get rid of them entirely... and if that's the case spending out on new door handles and painting the doors, seems like wasted time and effort if they are still going to look gash..:eek::oops::eek:

I had already actually decided to do as you suggest on the second toilet door, as this is only ever seen from a tiny hall on the way out the back door, rather than 'on display' as it were,
    If it were me doing it I'd probably do the lot, but as I'm incapacitated after my second knee replacement (not standard) so I aren't allowed to be using it as you do with a normal one (i.e. my other one LOL) so although I'll replace the door handles and locks etc, I wanted to be certain a P&D would be able to get an invisible or very near invisible finish.. before buying the handles..

I've decided I'll fill and prime the one door and if I'm happy with it, assume that any P&D worth his salt should be able to do a much better job and definitely prepared to top coat the doors for a better final finish.

thanks for even more feedback guys..:D