Clear rubble between rafters before insulating loft..? or leave + cover it with insulation??

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by Hannah Barker, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Hannah Barker

Hannah Barker New Member

IMG_2111.JPG I'm planning to insulate and board out a small loft. The loft is used only for storage and is above my kitchen & bathroom. I want to fill the gap between the rafters (80mm deep) with one layer of rock wool AND then also fit loft legs, to raise the floor, and fit a further layer at right angle (170mm) to insulate above the rafters too. So, reaching the recommended 270mm of insulation.
    However... the gaps between the rafters are full of rubble... - brick dust, chunks of wood, plaster, old smashed up wasps nests, urgh...! None of the rubble lies above the top level of the rafters, which might be handy. Some gaps are completely full. Others are various, so an uneven surface.

I'm trying to decide whether to spend a messy day or more REMOVE ALL this ****... OR taking out SOME of the rubble and rubbish to level the whole thing out out (and thus buying a 50mm deep) OR LEAVE IT and lay, as best i can, the insulation on top of it all...

any thoughts anyone? thanks!
    IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2110.JPG

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Remove. Problem is do you have any masks!!!!!,

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Bite the bullet and remove the lot.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

You know the answer ... you just don't want to have to do it, and are looking for us on the forum to support you in your laziness! ;)

BodgeTheBuilder likes this.
  5. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

A decent vac with some 1/2" mesh over the nozzle to stop large pieces blocking the hose to take up the dust and dirt, then the rest by hand or with dustpan and brush.

6. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Member

A nice little home for all sorts of creatures up there. Get rid !

7. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Cleaning it up is a ghastly job, and by the looks of it it's on a lath and plaster ceiling too, so you'll need to be careful not to damage the ceiling below.

However, if for any reason the ceiling comes down in future, all that lot will land in your house, so if it was mine, I'd clean it all out.

For what it's worth, our house was the same when we moved in and I did just that. It only took me three weeks....