Close shave I think

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Chippie mac chipface, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Chippie mac chipface

Chippie mac chipface Active Member

I have been doing this over 35 years and don't think that I will ever understand some customers.

Had an email from my website, could I go and price for some wardrobes.

Turned up to a family living in a four bedroom building site, just been plastered, it was clear that the builder they had just chucked off the job was a chancer and I felt so sorry for them.

They could not remember about the wardrobes but wanted a quote for all the second fix, hanging doors etc.

One look at the linings and I could see they all needed to come out, different heights, half inch bows, heads miles out etc.

I went back and measured, sent them a detailed quote explaining why each lining needed to come out.

They want to knock £200 from my price and tell me to start next week

I say no to the reduction and tell them that I can start middle of March.

Quote excepted, I always ask for a 50% deposit to book my time and pay for materials, if the customer can not trust me with paying 50% why should I trust them to pay me on completion?

Nothing for four days

I email them this morning saying that I have other customers waiting and they need to pay the deposit to book the March date.

They come back saying that they are not in a hurry (they were last week and have 3 kids living on a building site) and can they book my next slot. I have quoted them middle of May.

So I have spent two hours on site measuring and advising them, half an hour typing the quote out, they confirmed that they wanted the work done but I think my deposit scared them off.

Would they have paid me in full at the end of the job, did theoriginal builder walk or was he pushed?

I was always told not to follow another contractor on to a job, I think that may still ring true.

2. Johnik

Johnik Member

go with your gut feeling, just walk away

rogerk101 likes this.
  3. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

Sounds like you are well out of it.
    If anyone asks me for a discount, that's it, game over as far as I'm concerned, they can find someone else....experience has shown me that they will quibble at the end and try to chip your invoice.

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Hmm. I never pay deposits. (but there again I don't quibble price, and my tradespeople don't actually ask for deposits) Sometimes pay stage payments. Always pay on the nail on completion. I wouldn't book you with 50% deposit.

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I always ask other trades (gas safe, sparks and spreads) if they want any money up front and I can't think of one that has taken me up on the offer. I don't ask clients for anything in advance although some offer occasionally.

Edit: I always pay immediately on completion - before they've got home on a couple of occasions - the joys of mobile banking.

Edit 2: I missed carpet fitters off that list.

Edit 3: Scaffolders want paying up front in my experience - I forgot about them

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  6. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

Nothing in favour of these clients but many things against. My opinion.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I wouldn't book with a 50% deposit, it's too much however the fact they tried to knock you for £200 before you started means I wouldn't have wasted any more time on them whatsoever and just left them to it. If they couldn't remember asking about the wardrobes then either they have dementia, are on drugs or made it up to hook you in. I don't understand why you couldn't salvage the linings and refit them, but on a day rate.

As soon as I see that I'm brought in to finish off someone else's job I'm immediately on guard to the point I waste no time with preamble and tell them it's X amount take it or leave it, payable immediately after I've swept up. It nearly always sorts them out almost immediately. Go with your instincts.

Robot Enthusiast and CGN like this.
  8. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

I wouldn't pay a 50% deposit to a contractor unless I personally knew them and they'd done work for me before. I'd be happier if they paid me a refundable retainer to book their services. Complete the work in a satisfactory timescale and to a good standard and they get paid in full. That's business. 50% isn't a deposit, it's half the payment. 10% is enough to be judged a deposit.

That said, you should refuse to do any work for them now. Maybe you were used to get an estimate to show how much it would cost to get their unfinished work completed, to be used as evidence to sue the original tradesman?

9. Dan Parkinson

Dan Parkinson Active Member

If I'm fitting a kitchen I usually get the customer to pay for the kitchen on the day it's been delivered and checked. The labour costs at the end.

Larger jobs I will ask for a percentage up front to buy materials.

Most jobs are just paid fully on completion.

I've done a few jobs where I've been finishing other people's work, it's not worth it. Don't bother

10. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

I would never pay up front. How do I know you would turn up?
    Have had Tradesmen let me down with poor excuses for not turning up. Nothing lost but still inconvenient.

I have never tried to get a discount and always pay immediately by Transfer. Have had to chase to pay sometimes!

Understand where you are coming from and guess it must work OK with your 35 Years in the Trade.
    I think you have made the right decision for this Customer.

11. Chippie mac chipface

The linings had all been stuck in with foam were dished or had been cut too short. In addition to this I don't like off the shelf linings and make them the traditional way with an off set tenon.

12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I never take money up front it feels like I'm working for nothing towards the end of the job, it's a risk but ive only ever been done over once

Dan Parkinson likes this.
  13. Mikey s

Mikey s New Member

I always ask for a 5% booking deposit
    Strange how some people won’t pay a tradesman any money up front but will for sofas, holidays new kitchens. I don’t mind financing smaller jobs but over 10k I’d want some money upfront

14. Chippie mac chipface

Basically I see the deposit is to pay for materials (I make a lot of hardwood bookcases etc) and to book my time. I tell the customer when I can do the work and once the deposit is paid I book them in. Without a deposit I can spend a lot of money on materials and waste a lot of my time if a client cancels say 3 days before fitting.

McSport likes this.
  15. BrianSmith

BrianSmith New Member

As a customer i generally pay in stages with no initial deposit. I have refused to make a payment because work wasnt progressing as the lad started work on a neighbours project . . I always pay in full once job completed ,its only fair . A couple of times regretted it because on closer inspection the job wasn't up to scratch.

16. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

Perhaps Watchdog/Mat Allwright need to make a programme about Rogue Customers?
    Some dodgy Tradesmen out there but equally some dodgy Customers by the sound of it.

If you have substantial Material Costs, then it does seem reasonable to ask for some Payment up front.
    I have had a few jobs done recently (all sub £1000) and most of it was Labour.

Stickyvick likes this.
  17. Chippie mac chipface

I can not afford to spend a weeks worth of labour + material cost only for the client to cancel the job 2 days before fitting.

It happened to me once, never again

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's just common sense though isn't it? I can't imagine anyone would have a problem with paying a deposit of 50,60 even 90% IF they are commissioning a hardwood bookcase or bespoke cabinet to be built in their honour as they must surely know that the materials and design are specific for their job and cannot be used elsewhere, therefore to safeguard the tradesman, provide themselves with a record of the job booking and secure the job then a hefty deposit must be paid, I cant believe anyone but an idiot would dispute that. However, asking for a deposit to cover labour charge on installation work ie hanging doors or Fit only work is not only pizztaking but borderline fraudulent as no physical work would have been done at that point and the customer has no way of knowing whether the tradesman will turn up and the 50% deposit for labour and two lengths of 2x1 hasn't just gone on the 3.30 at Newmarket or over the bar at the Dog and Handgun.

I don't agree in the slightest with tightarse unscrupulous customers cancelling at the last minute, but unfortunately that's the path self employed trades have chosen to tread.

19. Chippie mac chipface

All day long, we do this job and we know what may happen.

I confirmed a job today to hang a front door, sent over my terms and conditions but told the client to disregard the deposit section.

We are all only as good as our last job and our reputation.

20. Chippie mac chipface

I have always said this.

A few years ago someone tried to set up a website warning trades of dodgy customers but it ran into legal problems.