closing door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by spindlen, Mar 25, 2005.

1. spindlen

spindlen New Member

Hi all
    can someone help me i have an internal door that keeps closing on its own. It will only stay open with a wedge under it. how can i get it to stay open on its own.Its is a 15 glass panel with 3 hinges on it

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

rehang it vertically

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Undo the bottom hinge(at the liner, not the door) and pack
    it out 1 - 2mm, then refit it. Loosen the middle hinge and retighten it not as tight as it was before. Loosen the top hinge and retighten it, tight.

Handyandy - really

4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

spindlen

im not saying handy is wrong but check that the door is vertical FIRST before packing the hinges.

if you dont consider the verticality first and pack the hinges (as mentioned by handy) without care you could jamb the door against the head of the lining and still not cure the problem

I refer you to self closing farm gates. Some self closing farm gates are built on a hinge that forces them out of vertical when they are open

5. Before you waste any time

Check if the door frame is plumb in both directions

If it is out parallel to the wall you could plumb door but may need to refit door checks

if it is of plumb in the actual opening it would mean refitting the actual door frame
    easy if it is into a stud partion
    not so easy if brick walls

6. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

agree with older btb, IF the lingings are badly cross legged then the work is necessary

IF lining is not too far out a (couple of mm) you can get away with resetting the hinges in the lining and bring the door vertical that way

7. panlid

panlid New Member

close your front door.

8. bonnie the botch

bonnie the botch New Member

i dont know what youve got against wedges anyway.

9. panlid

panlid New Member

Undo the bottom hinge(at the liner, not the door) and pack
    it out 1 - 2mm, then refit it. Loosen the middle hinge and retighten it not as tight as it was before. Loosen the top hinge and retighten it, tight.

come on is no one going to take the **** out of this??

10. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo spindlen

you havent got rising butts on it have you!!!!!!!!

big all

11. big all

big all Screwfix Select

12. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

Cabin hook ?

13. Mr. Handyandy

Undo the bottom hinge(at the liner, not the door)
    and pack
    it out 1 - 2mm, then refit it. Loosen the middle
    hinge and retighten it not as tight as it was before.
    Loosen the top hinge and retighten it, tight.

come on is no one going to take the **** out of this??

They are not taking the ** out of it sid, because they are not petty like you AND probably can't find a good reason why it shouldn't be done. Now, before you go any further, think hard. And note.
    I have done this several times and found it most effective.
    What say you ?

Handyandy - really

[Edited by: admin3]

14. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

handy,

Earlier i was trying to be diplomatic, now I will tell you why you dont pack hinges and tighten and lossen screws to stop a door swinging shut (or open) by itself

your solution may be effective but what happens is that the door no longer has equal margins and so looks like a DIYer has done it. You only pack hinges when the margins are unequal

What makes a door swing open (or) swing shut is if it is not vertical. the solution to the problem is to move the hinges in the lining so the door is vertical. As noted above by one of our learn'ed friends, if the the lining is badly cross legged then you also have to sort that out first

15. panlid

panlid New Member

ill just stay quiet.

16. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

sid, its my turn

17. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

handy??????????

18. panlid

panlid New Member

LMAO

be gentle with him and if you hear his reversing beep i would move quick..

19. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

sid, im more worried about being crushed by a pack of mdf launched off the lorry by carol

20. Mr. Handyandy

dirty deeds. Well, thankyou for the patronising, but no thanks. You are talking about the vertical from face to rear of door.
    So what if the door is out on the vertical on the edge sides of the door(have I explained that enough for you sid or do you want a picture). We don't yet know how long the door has been in, has it dropped ? It's glazed so could be quite heavy. It may need lifting at the closer side. Do you, or sid, know this ? And do you also know that your method will sort it out? And do you also know that the door doesn't need lifting ?
    No. You don't know. You are doing that presumptious bit again.

Please PROVE I am wrong or shut up

Handyandy - really