closing door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by spindlen, Mar 25, 2005.

1. panlid

panlid New Member

andy your original post was so matter of fact. thing is mate when your talking to trades you have to remember that we talk to know all customers all day and we can spot a guesser anywhere.... ello andy!

2. panlid

panlid New Member

andy's doing what he normally does when hes wrong, he blames the vagueness of the question. thing is when you do this for a living they are not as vague(mosrt of the time)
    BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
    WRIGGLE WRIGGLE!

3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

mdf man

On thursday (two days ago) I sorted out a 120 year glass balcony door. WHICH HAD DROPPED.

The door is a 6foot 6, 2foot 9 with 6mm glass in a 2inch frame. IT DID NOT CLOSE (OR) OPEN ITSELF

I suggest you learn how to hang doors

4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

handy????????????

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Now it is you. You are saying here that the door has dropped from a diagonal point of view. That is, the bracing or toe and heeling direction. I was not. That would be obvious to a professional, need I say more. It's clear in my post what direction I was talking about.
    Read it again, and weep.

Handyandy - really

6. panlid

panlid New Member

It may need lifting at the closer side???

7. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

handy

your surefire method will NOT sort either problem. either out of vertical or a diagonal drop

your answer i believe

8. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

give me two seconds, im going to open a bottle

9. Mr. Handyandy

Well don't think I'm going to be here trying to teach you drunkards how to raise doors etc.
    It's obvious to a professional what I was talking about.
    If you don't understand, it just proves my point
    And as I said long ago now, I have done this and proved it.

Handyandy - really

10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

back again, bottle opened (its red and spanish) go for it

im willing to learn why packing the bottom hinge of my 120 year old door that ahd dropped diagonaly would have worked OR why packing the bottom hinge of a door that was out of vertical would have worked.

In both cases packing the bottom hinge would have put the margins out. in the 120 year old door (being hung on the left hand side) would have jambed the right hand outer edge and the right hand top side. in the case of the door that wasnt vertical it would have jambed in the same places BUT when free of the lining would still have swung open (or) shut

11. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

Reposition all hinges to bottom of door, anchor other side of hinge to floor, make winching system for your new draw bridge, for additional security, add a portcullis.

12. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

Only other alternative is, you have a poltergeist, to perform exorcism, shave all sensitive areas, and apply copius amounts of Deep Heat, joiners may perform a simpler solution.

13. Mr. Handyandy

back again, bottle opened (its red and spanish) go
    for it

im willing to learn why packing the bottom hinge of
    my 120 year old door that ahd dropped diagonaly would
    have worked OR why packing the bottom hinge of a door
    that was out of vertical would have worked.

In both cases packing the bottom hinge would have put
    the margins out. in the 120 year old door (being hung
    on the left hand side) would have jambed the right
    hand outer edge and the right hand top side. in the
    case of the door that wasnt vertical it would have
    jambed in the same places BUT when free of the lining
    would still have swung open (or) shut

Firstly, when I suggested packing the bottom hinge, there was NO 120year old door dropped diagonally.
    So in answer to your first question, it wouldn't have worked on your door. Nor did I say it would. Clear ?

Secondly, who said the original door was out of vertical
    on the face to back plane ? Nobody.

Now if the door has dropped(pulled away from the top hinge with a little thing called weight)it will be out of vertical on the edges. It may well be already touching at the top(closer edge). Who knows. Not You. Not I.
    Packing the bottom hinge and tightening the top hinge can sort this out. I DID say that.

If the door was vertically out on the plane that I mentioned, it would cause the door to close by itself.

Would you like a picture also ?

Handyandy - really

14. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

I had this on my workshop door. I took the hinges off, beat them with a hammer until they would only just prise open then refit them. It creaks a bit but it stays where it's told to now.

15. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

handy, raising doors? have you been drinking? ;)

your method might work for you. BUT............

if you are working in a flat worth in excess of £2.5m in central london and the margins are unequal (even if the door is 120 years old and weighs around 40 kgs, is almost all glass and has dropped diagonally) AND THEN TRY THE HANYANDY (MDF) APPROACH then you wont get to do any more work.

NOW try NOT professional

16. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

jason, i love your aproach and limestone, what weight hammer do you suggest

17. limestone cowboy

I used a 4lb lump hammer. Would I get much work on expensive flats in London?

18. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

handy, your answers are all a single solution to all problems, there is no such thing

19. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

limestone, it has to be a 5lb hammer if you work in flat 34 two floors up with the polish guys

20. limestone cowboy

They must be rougher than me. I knew it was possible.