closing door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by spindlen, Mar 25, 2005.

1. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

andy

spindlens door would be sorted in under five minutes and cost him a cup of tea. its a job I would do on the way home

cutting down the legs on a stool for an old guy so he could sit at the sink and do the washing up. that was realy expensive cup of tea AND a biscuit, done last monday on the way home from the expensive london flat.

your gybes make you look more and more foolish

2. panlid

panlid New Member

Now if the door has dropped(pulled away from the top hinge with a little thing called weight

andy you might want to thinkabout how your showing yourself up. anyone in the trade will tell you that your description of a dropping door is incorrect!
    carry on by all means;)

3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

come on andy, were waiting

4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

going off line, just going to fit my new kitchen i wonder if the doors ................... i dont think they will

5. panlid

panlid New Member

lol
    im off taking the kids to the warship museum in birkenhead. when andy comes back on you know his answer will be about presumptions and the vagueness of the question. loved the trig post. if you need anyhelp with your kitchen he,ll be here soon. he will tell you how you knock down your studded wall and rebuild with concrete block to support your wall units.. see you later:D

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Ah, hello. Involved in so many punch ups recently haven't had time to read them all. :)

Where do I start ?

Dirtydeeds. Tes, the book analogy works. Excellent.
    HOWEVER. My turn, with the book. You do need a book with a bit of weight, even with your experiment.

Hold the book in front of you as if it were a closed door.
    Let's say, closer on right, hinges on left. You are holding it by the hinges. Now, open the door(the whole book)so the closer is facing you. You are holding it as near vertical as you can, yes ? Now, push your bottom hinge to the left( where it would be before I have packed it out).
    Hey, presto. Abracadabra. The door closes all by itself.
    No good trying to hold it tighter to fool the experiment.

Does the door close ? Pack it out now and it won't. And be honest. Others may try this and say it works.

Just admit it. There is always more than one way to skin
    a cat.
    And just because YOU OR SID don't do it my way, don't mean it don't work.

I am ready for your apology. Don't know when I'll get to read it, lot of arguments I expect still to sort out, especially one with a gramaphone record, I mean a grammar expert(not).

Handyandy - really

7. panlid

panlid New Member

andy you say its your way but i can bet my mortcage youve never done it. even if you say you have i wont believe you as i know it is wrong from EXPIERIENCE!

8. panlid

panlid New Member

spindlen you could always put a rubber strip on the bottom of door as that will bind on floor and stop it closeing..... and opening easily as well...
    youll be ok if its flat but not a church:D

9. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

andy,

FIRST im glad you tried my experiment, because i thaught you were so up tight you wouldnt even try it.

SECOND I tried your experiment and it can work either way. If the door is even slightly out of vertical the door can either open itself (from the suggested 90 degrees to 180) OR close itself from 90 degrees to shut.

This shows that the verticallity of the door is more important. so 1 no apology because your experiment doesnt work only one way 2 your solution will still give you uneven margins

BUT your experiment is good because it has taught me something

THIRD AND MOST IMPORTANTLY The original post by spindlen said I have a door that "keeps on closing itself". Using your method it will close itself even quicker. SO I dont think you get an apology for that because your solution would have made spindlen's problem worse.

more to follow

10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

andy, one of your posts on the grammer problem regarded a spelling mistake. a spelling mistake is not bad grammer, it could also have been a typo.

ALTHOUGH you are right about the guys grammer, it was a bit of a tirade

11. Mr. Handyandy

Firstly, dirtydeeds, thankyou for at least seeing another point of view(take heed SID)
    I don't understand this bit...

no apology because your experiment doesnt work only one way <

And I think you'll find it was correct if carried out right. That is, pushing the bottom hinge in closes the door. Pulling it out(packing it)closes the door. I am sure I explained it that way. Anyway I think it is now resolved.

And while I'm here, 'cause I can't resist, I must tell you again SID. Read the posts. I have previously stated that I have achieved this result by doing it before. It is true, and what's more we know it's possible.

And how easy, few screws out packer in, do it up, done.
    No removing door(although no-one said you had to)(gotta cover everything I say with Sid)no moving liners, no removing and refitting doorstops. 3 minutes work tops.

I do wish some people would talk about things they know about. I'm feeling really good today. Near apologies and thanks everywhere. If only they'd let it lie........
    Ah feel goo-d, du du du du, du du du. Ah knew that ah would now, du du du du, du du du

Handyandy - really

12. Mr. Handyandy

Oh, about the grammar bloke. Yes, I threw in spellings too. All part of the english language and literature stuff, which includes grammar. You know, if you can't be bothered with spelling(type of thing) grammatical perfection won't make it look any better. But to boast about it, that's where it gets me. I ain't no expert on it, but, well...............I don't claim to be.

Handyandy - really

13. Mr. Handyandy

phukit.

Pulling it out(packing it)<u>opens</u> the door.

Tuh !

Handyandy - really

14. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

andy be careful the phuket might have been close to an apol, apolo, appolgy (got there in the end)

now get your butt back to the trig question i havent finished yet

15. big all

big all Screwfix Select

isnt this a shame another thread getting "lost " in often valid points but irrelivant to the requirements of the person needing the help

these "discusions" dont realy help any one and are often through missreading or misunderstanding a point made and people becoming entrenched in there veiws and dont seem to "listen "or accsept other points of view:);)

big all

16. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

big all, yebut

the informaton is here in the posts BUT a have to accept that in some threads you have to look for it

17. big all

big all Screwfix Select

you are of course right d d:)

its just some people sort of turn off when there are so many conflicting points
    now i fully agree with debate and my self have made some classic boo boos under the influence of beer goggles;)
    corrected quite quickly of course which i am thankfull for as wrong information can be dangerous or at least wastfull

but once a slanging match starts [heated debate]people either loose interest or miss the relivant information:);):(

big all

18. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

never wrong to have a match against handymdfandy, its good fun though

anyway must to bed

19. 12benny

12benny New Member

So what was the final "agreed" solution(s)? Could the contenders break down their solutions into a detailed list numbered 1, 2, 3, etc. stating what action to take and why?
    This is an interesting and useful subject.

20. Mr. Handyandy

1. (possible solution) :

Undo the bottom hinge(at the liner, not the door) and pack
    it out 1 - 2mm, then refit it. Loosen the middle hinge and retighten it not as tight as it was before. Loosen the top hinge and retighten it, tight.

Handyandy - really