Coal fire/back boiler removal help

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Simon Millar, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Simon Millar

Simon Millar New Member

I'm looking to remove a coal fire which has a back boiler and has recently been in use. Pipes now disconnected etc but finding it very difficult to even attempt to remove... it seems there is a lintel about a meter up from ground but below is all bricks with a small opening for the recent coal fire. I'm unsure whether it is safe to remove the bricks from the inner part as oppose to what seems to of been a larger opening back many years ago. I tried to remove 2 bricks but found it very difficult and not sure what is stopping the while thing just sliding out apart from a pipe or 2 connected behind.

Is it safe to do so looking at the image as the chimney is the support to the house rsz_1rsz_20171001_155835.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would be wanting to put a couple of acrows & strongboys under that lot, before removing boiler.
    The lintel support, especially right hand side,looks iffy, lintel should have 150mm minmum bearing each end.

3. Simon Millar

Simon Millar New Member

Thanks so you think I can rip it all out and then brick it up but with extra support during... any chance you know if there is a reason why it won't slide out

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The problem you have is that the area in red is all made up of bits and should sit on a good sound piece of brick/block for 150mm. The area in red doesn't look like it has the best "bond". It may be easier and cheaper to get a builder in to sort it out for you and then plaster it afterwards. A builder will have a look at the chimney end and decide whether it should be capped and what ventilation you need

upload_2017-10-1_19-59-14.png

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Whole lot could come tumbling down...:rolleyes:

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep, It is one of those tricky ones - knocking out the bricks may cause more instability.

And also the plaster above the lintel is showing movement cracks as are some of the bricks.

KIAB likes this.