Coating bare metal interior door frames

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by J8sha, Nov 20, 2020.

1. J8sha

J8sha New Member

Hi folks,

I’m not sure what category this would fit into but hoping some carpenters may have come across this.

we’ve just moved in to our first home and are midway through renovations. After peeling off about 60 years of gloss we found that all of our internal door frames are metal. We stripped one of them back cleaned it to bare metal and basically really liked the look for that room.

My question is, what would be best to coat it to prevent rusting, but also to keep it looking as natural? I was wondering if there is a particular kind of wax or something, rather than whacking clear coat on there.

Thanks in advance

2. Dream_Home

Dream_Home Active Member

Wax won't work as it needs to be absorbed into a material, I think your only option is to apply a clear coat

3. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Something like a clear acrylic lacquer should do the job.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Beeswax will be fine and will do a grand job, a couple of coats initially and every now and then a maintenance coat. Being a wax it provides protection by coating and sealing the surface and will look good once buffed to a shine....like it...forward thinking.....well done..apply the wax with 0000 wire wool, let dry and polish with microfibre cloth, then repeat the process a 2nd time. :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  5. Dream_Home

Dream_Home Active Member

I thought this had to be applied frequently if it's already cd metal as it's meant to be applied while the metal is still hot from the forge??

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Frequently.....I did mention a maintenance coat!