Cold conservatory/lean to due to door

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Marc Berry, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Hi all

We have a large lean-to that is pretty much the size of a large conservatory that encloses what used to be a brick shed (now laundry room) and has large sliding French doors.

It gets colder than the rest of the house mainly as it isn't a brick built structure but it is windows, upvc etc.

For the most part it's well done and an air leak detector doesn't show too many temperature changes apart from the bottom of the door to the entry. This is in fact the old gate with the rest built around it. Again the sides of the gate are fairly well protected for drafts apart from the bottom.

On the outside of this gate is the step that has no ridge at the bottom that could stop little bits of water when it rains and the air also. I didn't know if i could screw some wood at the bottom of even cement to block that bottom? See attached bit it might not help any.

Cheers, Marc

Attached Files:

2. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Any help on this one?

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Any photos?

Marc Berry likes this.
  4. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Yep, hang on

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Fit a Storm Guard threshold to door base maybe. Many types but all do same job

Marc Berry likes this.
  6. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

See the attached. When we first moved in i created the wedge and screwed it's on. It helps just a little with the rain side of things. Some moisture still gets underneath and it does nothing to stop the draft

Attached Files:

7. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Any further help on this one appreciated

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Fit a cill to the frame and grind some of the step away at an angle to shed the rainwater away.

Marc Berry likes this.
  9. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Thanks mate

10. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

I added a line of bricks and raised the triangle wedge i created. It's much better.

Attached Files: