Cold water feed

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Stephen Aitken, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Stephen Aitken

Stephen Aitken New Member

Hi
    Unfortunately my downstairs shower developed quite a substantial leak resulting in water damage. I can see the issue as it’s an Aqualisa cartridge which has gone bad - looks easy to remove and a new one is on the way. I managed to shut off the hot water feed which had a stopcock in an airing cupboard but for the life of me I can not locate the cold water feed. I need to turn this off to put the new cartridge in.
    I’ve had a look under the sink and can see a stopcock which I turned off but water is still flowing. I have a water tank in the loft so was wondering if this means water is still flowing because it is using the tank reserve? I can see some valves in the airing cupboard which I turned off but still water flows downstairs. Do i need to go in the attic and turn it off there? Seems strange to have to go in the attic as thought the pipes would come from the tank via the airing cupboard
    Very confused. Any help much appreciated
    Thanks
    S

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Your cold feed to shower will likely come from the cold water cistern in the loft. Just bung the outlet ,on the inside of the tank.

3. Stephen Aitken

Stephen Aitken New Member

Thanks- wouldn’t there be some sort of gate valve coming from the tank maybe I can turn off..will check

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Quite possibly. Gate valves are notorious for not closing fully and if overtightened in an effort to make them close fully ,can easily snap internally and then you can't open them.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Gate valves never work in my experience, fwiw.

6. NoOhmToGoTo

NoOhmToGoTo Screwfix Select

Nor mine fwiw.
    With the advent of quarter turn lever valves I don't know why they are still manufactured.
    Bloody useless imho.

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

My understanding is that although they're notorious for failing the point of a gate valve is that the system installer can set optimum flow rates and then remove the heads so that they don't get adjusted.
    Lever valves are simple but don't serve that purpose so well.