colour run/leak from brick tint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by AbiH, Sep 11, 2018.

1. AbiH

AbiH New Member

Greetings,

Im currently restoring the bay window and surrounding masonry on my victorian terrace. I have noticed there some kind of red/orange colour run on the white painted masonry above the bay window from the row of bricks above, which I am thinking may have occurred because a previous owner has used a red brick tint on them, which is now running in the rain. Have attached photo.

has anyone got any thoughts on how to stop this colour run? I wil repaint the masonry white, and don't want to ruin all the hard work by having it stained red/orange the first time it rains!

If it is tint it must have been there a while because we've lived in the house a year and the bay already needed work when we arrived so it must have been a good few years since it was last done and this tint applied.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Stain blocker paints are designed specifically to address that problem.
    Our hosts stock a few of them.

3. AbiH

AbiH New Member

Many thanks. From what I can tell most stain blockers seem to be an undercoat to be subsequently painted white (or other colour). However I wanted to leave the row of red bricks above the white masonry (where the problem is coming from) in their red colour, as in rest of street. Can you recommend a stain block which is transparent and so will leave the red bricks more or less in their current colour while sealing the colour inside them? Cheers!

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Something like a grout sealer would work, but you'd need to test it on a hidden area to see if it darkens the bricks permanently, or just until it dries out.

5. AbiH

AbiH New Member

thanks - really helpful!