Combi boiler pressure needs topping up regularly

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mistermarty, Dec 19, 2011.

1. mistermarty

mistermarty New Member

Hi all. I have an oil combi boiler which was installed before I bought my house.  Earlier this year it was moved following a large renovation project on the house and it was connected to a new heating and hot water system.  It only heats 4 radiators and 2 towel rails.  The boiler is not that new by the look of it, although I am no expert.  The problem I have is that every week or so I have to top up the pressure using the tap the plumber showed me.  It drops from 1 to about 0.3 to 0.4 in a week or so.  Should I be concerned about this?  I can't see any leaks anywhere, but wouldn't really know where to look other than the obvious ones (radiator pipes, pipes around the boiler, etc).  Any advice would be greatly appreciated - please be as "user friendly" with any suggestions as I am a complete novice with this sort of stuff.

Thanks

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

There may be a leak, there may be a fault with the PRV or the EXP vessel. Ask the plumber back to check it ut.

3. mistermarty

mistermarty New Member

Thanks. The plumber came round the other day and told me it was something to do with the big red round cylinder thing in the front (apologies for the lack of technical terms!), which he suspected when he moved the boiler for me.  He said it would probably hold for now and did not need to be replaced immediately - just to keep an eye on it.