Combi boiler problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by r0land, Mar 12, 2006.

1. r0land

r0land New Member

Any ideas on what may be causing this problem on my combi boiler (Ferroli F30). Yesterday the heating did not come on and the boiler pressure gauge was reading zero (normally runs around 1 – 1.5 bar).
    I suspect it is some problem within the boiler pressure relief system. The boiler is installed in the loft of my bungalow (i.e. at a higher elevation than the radiator circuit) and the system repressurised almost immediately from the filling loop. When the radiators were bled no air was present so thankfully it does not appear to be a leak from the radiator circuit.
    So far the system has returned to normal operation but I work away from home a lot and ‘Sod’s Law’ says it will happen again when I am away.
    Any advice appreciated.

2. while the system is heating up, watch the pressure gauge... Is this rising?

did you notice any water from PRV discharge pipe?

The expansion vessel may need re-pressurising with air, or the possibility of a blockage on the expansion vessel pipe investigated.

3. r0land

r0land New Member

The pressure increases slightly but I assumed this was normal due to the increased temperature of the water in the system and as far as I am aware this has always been the case. I haven't noticed any drips from the pipe (I'm assuming this is the one sticking through the wall just under the flue?)

Cheers