Combi Boiler requirements

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spike, Nov 10, 2006.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

This ELV looks good....however don't think I could bring myself to use bell wire to cable it....think maybe 2 core oval light would be a bit better.

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Or 3 core light round....whatever is needed to line in peripheral controls.

3. andyspark

andyspark Active Member

I wouldn't dream of hardwiring a stat to a combi these days.
    You can fit a digistat to most combis now. It is wireless and the sender can be mounted anywhere in the house or even not mounted at all and moved around the house.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Or 3 core light round....depending on the peripheral requisites.

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

> Why is Honeywell rubbish Sine?

It isn't!

'*****' is a term that the kids use for good stuff!

Yee showin yer age JP! :^O

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thats for sure Sine..what 8 yrs now out of that particular field..ELV controls....really did not know they exist (probably existed then, but I wasn't aware of). Funny how northern slang and southern slang is different..there are common demoninators in slang but not that many....gonna start using that phrase in the pub....like thats a good drop of sxxxx which equals thats a good drop of ale....or does it not work that way?

7. markysparky

markysparky New Member

You have to install room stats to comply with part L. Even if the installation has TRV's installed.

Generally it's programmable roomstats which are normally installed for combis. Particulary if the combi is installed in the loft or similair and external controls are needed.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=102632&ts=99153&id=39276

2 core is fine. If only 12v then bell wire is fine also. I always wire stats in HR flex for obvious reasons being terminated at the boiler. Sometimes right next to pipes so HR flex is recommended.

8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

T6360B1028 Room Thermostat

Fitted one today........

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Understand exactly what you mean now Sine....

10. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

I wouldn't dream of hardwiring a stat to a combi
    these days.
    You can fit a digistat to most combis now. It is
    wireless and the sender can be mounted anywhere in
    the house or even not mounted at all and moved around
    the house.

Au contrair

11. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Digistats..yes :)

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

2 core is fine. If only 12v then bell wire is fine
    also. I always wire stats in HR flex for obvious
    reasons being terminated at the boiler. Sometimes
    right next to pipes so HR flex is recommended.

It's good and it is logical....far better to trip relays with a low voltage rather then high....presumably most of the relays are on the boiler PCB so instead of using the old style stats with large contacts (as a relay so to speak) etc the technology is veering quickly towards this ELV switching..sounds really good....and together with SELV shower units (Aquastream etc) the future for switching in these scenarios will be ELV and low voltage equipment in general....brilliant.

13. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Wire all stats in 3core & E unless it is not feasible .
    No matter what type . Use hardwiring if possible (not bell wire) you then have all options open .
    Radio ,batts etc ,last resort in IMHO.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

LD if these ELV units require just two wire cable and maybe in some cases 3 wire....on the presumption that an earth is not required on these ELV units....why cable with 3c + e?

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

LD if these ELV units require just two wire cable and
    maybe in some cases 3 wire....on the presumption that
    an earth is not required on these ELV units....why
    cable with 3c + e?

See your point LD....why change anyway....best just keep to 3c+e and cover any eventualities....so my above post is retracted.

16. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Wire all stats in 3core & E unless it is not feasible
    No matter what type . Use hardwiring if possible (not
    bell wire) you then have all options open .
    Radio ,batts etc ,last resort in IMHO.

Agreed with ya there LD. But if the boiler is already installed and you know what is required, then I don't see the point in installing it in 3 core! The boiler will be in for a very long time so in this instance 3 core cable is pointless in only SELV contacats.

Agreed about using RF stats as a last resort. Fully furnished house nicely decorated with laminate flooring etc would be a good example. Or if the labour charges for hardwired outweigh the cost of RF stats.