Combination Squares..

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Henno, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Henno

Henno New Member

EEvenin..

I use a combination square on a daily basis... Problem is, they don't tend to last that long. The bolt always ends up snapping or wearing thin so i end up buying a new square. Does anyone know of anywhere i can buy just the bolt/nut?

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo heeennnoo

there are so many makes and they are all different so maybe contact the manufacturer!!

i re-made one for an old stanley thought it would be a 20 minuit job ha ha took 3 hrs and i was using files angle grinder bench grinder ect

big all

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Really,you get what you pay for. I have a Moore & Wright combination set that I've had since I was an engineering apprentice, 40 years ago. I can't remember how much it cost, but probably £20+ (a lot of money then)but it's still accurate and nothing is broken,although it's been well used.

4. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

5. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

What are you doing with it to snap the bolt ?!

The most common problem generally is knackering the spring.

You should never overtighten the nut on a combi square. Just do up enough, so there is still some spring in the spring....if that makes sense !!

6. malkie129

OK, so the protractor is a bit moe fancy than mine.....but, Bloody Hell !!!! :(

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

8. dunc

dunc New Member

Are you buying a cheap model?

Another problem could be rusty finger. In that your body excretes higher levels of acids and yucky stuff, and this causes corrosion of metals.

9. chappers

chappers Member

What are you doing with it my combination square is older than me gets used on a daily basis and is still working fine.Must be one of the cheap flimsy ones, get a decent stanley and that should be fine.

10. mof

mof Member

Buy a proper one made from cast steel they will last a lifetime,I suspect you have one of the cheap di cast monkey metal ones.

11. malkie129

"get a decent stanley and that should be fine."

Decent Stanley?..That seems to be a contradiction of terms nowadays. All that I have seen of Stanley lately is overpriced tat, specially if it has the "FatMax"label. Stanley aren't the firm they used to be. :(

12. two by one

two by one New Member

I have a Rabone Chesterman one that is at least 15 years old. Battered but works fine, after some TLC with sandpaper and WD40...Probably my most used piece of kit.

13. murrmac

murrmac Member

"FatMax"label.

Nothing wrong with the Fatmax 5m and 8m tapes, in fact I don't see any alternative to them ..

14. tony3030

tony3030 New Member

here here..... I have the 8m fatmax good tapt just a little weighty