Come on Screwfix, you are losing customers!

Discussion in 'Screwfix Live' started by milleniumaire, Jul 31, 2022.

1. milleniumaire

milleniumaire New Member

For the second time this week I'm unable to Click & Collect or arrange Delivery of an item, but I can get it from a store that would be a 22 mile round trip!

What is that all about?

The last item was a McAlpine furniture trap and I ended up buying it from Toolstation. It looks like I'll be travelling to Toolstation again as that is closer than 11 miles it would take me to get to the Screwfix store that has stock.

I really don't understand why some products aren't available, even for next day collection, from my local store, 2 miles down the road and instead Screwfix seem to want to make me travel 11 miles or more. Do they not realise they will lose my order!

2. I’d guess If the store doesn’t have them
    and there aren’t any in the main distribution centre they won’t be able to organise delivery or click and collect as there aren’t any actually available, not unusual at the moment for some items to be difficult to get. The only ones available will be the ones in the shops that have some left

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Had the same problem a few weeks ago, items in stock but click and collect was not playing the same game....so went to the store and purchased with no problem, frustrating though!

4. milleniumaire

milleniumaire New Member

I frequently shop at Wolseley and City Plumbing. If an item exists ANYWHERE on their network, they arrange for it to be transferred to my local branch. It takes a few days, but this is not usually an issue and saves me travelling for miles. Screwfix "could" do the same if they decided it was worth the business.

Now that the rush hour has ended, it's time to go to Toolstation to pick up the item Screwfix don't want me to buy!

5. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Click and collect or for that matter stock level checks on the web, are not perfect. Often the system does not seem to update movement in stock immediately, in most cases it seems to be around 15 to 30 mins and in the worst case overnight.

during this time gap, you could buy on click and collect basis only to find stock not there when you turn up, although many (screwfix/Argos ) now try address that gap by telling you to wait till the stock has been set aside and confirmed with a text/email.

My worst experience, a while back, was with B&Q for some electrical items. The stock check showed 6 boxes so drove up to the shop. Indeed those boxes were there but all of them had been opened and had bits missing. I spoke to the manager and was told that unless someone reports it and staff report the loss to HO the issue remains unaddressed. To be fair to B&Q HO, I complained and was refunded for the wasted diesel.

6. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever had an issue with my local Screwfix on this. Wickes however….what a shower. Last week I went to pick up a loads of sandstone. 40 slabs. Would never normally buy from them but needed at short notice. 72 in stock. Got there. 19 in stock! Bought what I could and drive to two other sites. Updated the actual quantity with the lady at the counter who just stared at me blankly. Guarantee it’s still wrong now. Happens time and time again. Only use them if I really have no other choice.

7. Timbo66

Timbo66 Active Member

Agree on Wickes stock levels. Also their website is *****, and the search facility gives very random results.

8. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

The reality is that for DIY or small volume purchasing you’ll find yourself using a range of suppliers. Both our hosts and their founder’s rival brand have their virtues and uses. SF often has better stock levels of certain items and TS often has a better price point. Sometimes its the other way round. Sometimes theres actually a really good deal at one of the sheds, or it’s literally the only place nearby to pick up something quickly for a job.

Working at the scale I do, purchasing £1000’s if not 10s of £1000’s per month, it’s far easier to pay slightly over the odds for a single supplier who can either deliver or pick up in branch, with 30 days credit. It simply costs me more to shop around on the internet for half a day than to just pay the extra 5-10p for that item.

I regularly use both TS and SF for the business and both have things that irk me. The staff in both I always find extremely helpful. If your local branch staff aren’t, just change to a different one.

My biggest gripe with SF is the hiding of a third purchasing category in the system. Options are ‘Click and Collect’ or ‘Delivery’ when in actual fact there is also ‘Click and Collect Next Day’. So many times I have been in a hurry and missed this distinction. TS make this much clearer in their purchasing system.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Ask yourself this 'WHAT HAVE SCREWFIX DONE FOR US' :confused:..............Oh yes!...given us this wonderful forum to share our knowledge! :);)

ElecCEng likes this.
  10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If some of you send big especially toolstation with click and collect go through top cashback with 3% plus back.
    Screwfix don't give so much at 1%. I've had 5% some days with TS.
    I've had no problems with click and collect

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

:).......;)

12. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

a civilized forum...giving the P instead of taking it

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

We aim to 'P'lease. :D

14. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

The only reason the forum exists is because Screwfix as a company knows NOTHING about what it sells, nothing about the people it sells to and even less about how to use what it sells.
    IT needs the forum much more for us to pass knowledge on then we need it to buy stuff from.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

On that note I'll be shopping with immediate effect from Screwstation and Toolfix, no doubt they are in spitting distance of each other.

Do you know why Toolstation do not have a forum?

Teki and kitfit1 like this.
  17. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Probably because Toolstation's punters come to this forum :D

Astramax likes this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's a huge overhead saving hundreds of thousands ££££'s.....ultimately past on to the customer as reflected in their pricing structure.o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

19. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Nahhhhhh, a forum like this one costs next to nothing. It dosn't even have a proper mod team, as we all know full well :(
    Pricing structure is just down to greed, not the cost of the forum.

WillyEckerslike likes this.