Commercial Oven on Socket Ring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jonathan H, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Jonathan H

Jonathan H New Member

Hi Folks,

I have a commercial kitchen in an industrial building which has a single ring of 6 x double 13a plug sockets.

I have just bought a commercial oven and a coffee machine which both need to be wired into an FCU.

Ideally I'd love to add a new fuse in the consumer unit and wire both on their own fuse however that's a lot of work.

Would I be able to get my electrician to connect an FCU through one of the double sockets on the ring for the oven with a higher fused rating e.g. 19.5a or higher?

I am hoping i could have 2 FCUs, one for the oven and the other for the coffee machine with a higher fuse rating.

Does that make sense?

2. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select

No. Not allowed to do that. You would need a individual feed to the oven and coffee machine. What current is the coffee Machine.?

Jonathan H likes this.
  3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I suppose the obvious things that need to known before any certain answer can be given OP are, what are the current specs for the cooker and coffee machine.
    If either the oven or coffee machine have a draw greater than 13amps, then you will need a supply back to the CU for one or both.

4. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

No such thing as a 19.5 amp plug top fuse.

5. Philip Hyde

Worse than that he's wiring it in SY. :eek::eek::D

Ind spark likes this.
  6. Ind spark

Is that not allowed?;)

7. Philip Hyde

As long as it's less the 20amps..hence the 19.5 amp fuse

Ind spark likes this.
  8. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Oh no don't start that ball rolling again!!

Ind spark and Philip Hyde like this.
  9. Philip Hyde

:D:D:D:D:D

10. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

There is is you wrap one in bacofoil ;)

(don't do this!!)

Ind spark likes this.
  11. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

There’s no alternative to doing “a lot of work” as the oven definitely needs its own circuit.

12. Jonathan H

Jonathan H New Member

13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The 'Domestic Ring Final Circuit' is exactly what it says, it is for a domestic situation ONLY, sorry to raise my voice. Any ring final circuit in an industrial or commercial situation must be designed prior to installation with the expected loading known, other wise it should fail inspection as not being appropriate and likely to be overloaded. You need to have the installation and loading re appraised by someone who knows what they are doing.

14. Jonathan H

Jonathan H New Member

The reason I post on here is because I want to make sure the job is done properly. There are so many qualified cowboys who take no pride in their work, in my experience, if you don't know anything about it then you end up leaving it to chance.

15. Jonathan H

Jonathan H New Member

The oven is the Lincat EC09:

https://www.lincat.co.uk/index.php/view/ECO9

The coffee machine is the Remini Futurmat:

http://futurmat.co.uk/coffee-machine/futurmat-rimini-espresso/

16. Jonathan H

Jonathan H New Member

What are you on about? Where did the word domestic come up? This is an industrial unit. I fully intend to get a qualified electrician to look at the setup. The reason I am posting on a forum is to gain some understanding of the matter before hiring someone so I can be sure they are not a cowboy or do shoddy half-arsed work.

17. Philip Hyde

Jonathan H and Ind spark like this.
  18. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

The word domestic came into it because Bob was pointing out that the ring is not generally suitable for industrial or commercial installation.
    Read Bob's reply again because it makes perfect sense and is the answer you needed

Jonathan H likes this.
  19. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

It's bad enough bodging electrics in a house to save your mates a few quid but in an industrial environment it makes no sense.
    If they can afford a coffee machine they can afford to pay for the correct electrical supply.
    Or just use a kettle and stick with the existing ring.

20. Ind spark

That's what philip said didn't he?

Philip Hyde likes this.