Compact or solid core worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by quasar9, Jul 9, 2021.

1. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Has anyone had the experience of using or fitting these? These are the new 12 to 15mm thick solid core types under various brand names.

They seem to be better than traditional foil over chipboard laminate but how do they compare with synthetic stone (resin) types. I believe because they are solid, drain groves can be machined and being solid there is no chance of water ingress !

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I've fitted quite a few solid laminate tops over the years, the last one being 20mm thick. There are some things in it's favour, a lack of water ingress isn't one of them though. Any machined edge on solid laminate has to coated with lnseed oil to stop water getting into the core, that includes drainer grooves.
    It's sold on the basis that you don't need any special equipment to fit it, while sort of true, it's not the whole story. For worktop joints any fitter will need a biscuit jointer. Cutting and machining is the biggest problem with solid laminate, it eats carbide tipped saw blades, jigsaw blades and router bits for breakfast. Any rough cutting is best done with jigsaw blades for metal cutting. All my other blades are now diamond tipped and were bought just to machine solid laminate. Although a lot thinner than any normal laminate tops, they do weigh at least twice as much depending on thickness. For anything other than short runs of worktop, it really is a 2 man job to fit.
    Personally i don't like fitting them, the only reason i do fit them is because i charge twice the price i would for fitting Acrylic tops. If people didn't pay me that, i simply would not them.
    Acrylic tops in my mind are far superior, easier and faster to fit that's for sure.

quasar9 likes this.
  3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Thanks kitfit1, I half suspected that claims were not 100% accurate. acrylics it seems is the way to go, it’s only downside seems to be its heat resistance. Any makes you prefer over others?

Michael worock likes this.
  4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Heat resistance can be applied to any worktop really. All of them can and will react to heat as long as long as it's hot enough. Even with Granite, the surface can explode if you were to place a frying pan of hot oil onto it.
    I have a selection of trivets i use on mine when cooking, as would most people.
    Acrylic is Acrylic, one make is pretty much the same as another. It really boils down to price and colour.

5. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Acrylic it will then ! My own granite has held up well over the last 6 years ( resealed every year) although its got a few micro chips on the bevelled edge ! I guess natural flaws in stone which will not be there with acrylics.

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Why do you want to change from granite, especially if it has only been fitted 6 years ?

7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

It’s not for me. A friend of ours is refurbishing the whole house, so has to watch their budget. They originally wanted wood but were put off by the high maintenance and stories of problems from people who had /have them. They liked our granite but the cost was outside the budget. They don’t like ordinary laminates so it gravitated towards compact laminate as it’s cheaper than acrylics.

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

There are actually a lot of different Acrylic tops that look like Granite.

9. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Exactly - some new compact laminate imitate stone quite well ( hence the initial query) as do acrylics, which is the current choice after your words of caution. I will now try find them a good buy in Acrylic.

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Don't make a decision Just on my views of solid laminate @quasar9. I know Metro for sure, maybe Tilt as well have fitted solid laminate. They may have different views on it from me, although i remember a thread when Metro made it clear he didn't like fitting the stuff.