Complete Painting Disaster expert help required

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by TheScruffy, Jun 6, 2020.

1. TheScruffy

TheScruffy Member

hi Astramax

you suggested BIN over Bullseye 123. Was there any reason you have preference?

if I have filler that bubbles when it gets wet with sugar soap or emulsion by using BIN will that stop that happening as it’s oil based? And is it difficult to roller given the dry time?

thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Where have I suggested BIN over Bullseye?

Bin is not Oil base it is Shellac base.

Why are you sugar soaping over filler as damp would liven it up again.

3. TheScruffy

TheScruffy Member

wayners suggested 123 you suggested BIN.

tbh I’m having a total nightmare with this Astramax. Your help would be hugely helpful to me. I’ve got the whole house in this mess and I can’t move in.

when I apply emulsion the paint bubbles and peels where fillers has been used over Zinsser. This is a particular problem where I have repaired full ceiling length cracks in the ceiling. The cracks are sorted but when I apply emulsion it all bubbles up. I keep sanding it back to plaster and repairing but it’s driving me to despair.

4. TheScruffy

TheScruffy Member

14CB49EF-7D34-4FCA-B7F8-3FE74FA341EA.png

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Generally you would if needed Zinsser over filler not filler over Zinsser, Toupret is a filler that takes to going over painted areas.

6. TheScruffy

TheScruffy Member

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

My advice was an oil base primer sealer over the easifill.

8. TheScruffy

TheScruffy Member

And toupret has bubbled.I gave no idea why. It hi kbevause I sanded the 123 and effectively ‘polished’ so the filler can’t grab on.

I am seriously in a bit of a mess. I’ve just spent the last two and a half weeks prepping this house to try again. I don’t want to get it wrong.

is BIN better over

9. TheScruffy

TheScruffy Member

Because I have emulsioned already I’m not sure what is where.

I’ve patched repaired all over the house and I can’t remember where all the repairs are and if I used easy or toupret. I know I have a very difficult surface to try and get my two coats of emulsion on.

10. TheScruffy

TheScruffy Member

So not BIN? Can you emulsion over oil based primers?

not good for rollering on ceilings?

11. TheScruffy

TheScruffy Member

I ended up filler over Zinsser because my ceilings cracked again. So when I worked out a better way to repair them I feathered in more filler. Must coated ok but when I apply full coat emulsion it bubbles up

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

In over 40 years I have never used BIN for priming over filler, my use of BIN goes as far as priming several fitted kitchens as an adhesion primer over melamine and lacquered surfaces.

fff likes this.
  13. TheScruffy

TheScruffy Member

Ok so what would you use. I’m afraid to put anything water based on now because of how it’s reacting. I thought something other than water based would prevent it bubbling.

you are obviously very experienced in these things so your advice would be well received.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

To be brutally honest your ceilings will always crack open again due to expansion and contraction, doors banging, foot traffic etc.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It may be the ceiling would be better to have it repaired and skimmed over by a ceiling contractor.

16. TheScruffy

TheScruffy Member

the filler is under emulsion.

17. TheScruffy

TheScruffy Member

plastered did it with scrim tape and it just cracked. All the ceilings did it. That bit is done it’s the paint problems I have now

18. Vausian

Vausian New Member

Hi TheScruffy
    I've stumbled across your post and have similar issues, interested to know if you managed to resolve?
    I too have the orange peel effect where Zinsser BIN has been applied over a water stain. No filler applied anywhere either.
    The Wickes Vinyl Matt I'm using appears to be giving the same surface finish as you.
    Cheers - Paul