Complete renevation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Hoskie, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Hi Guys.

Iv been asked to give a price for a complete renevation of a block of flats in my area which is in Bridlington Yorkshire. (3 flats) I have worked on a number of flat renevations but not as my job just subbing doing the plastering so I am aware of of the potential pitfalls of a job like this.

Iv been speaking with my mates who are in the trade and most of them say that a job like that is usually priced at £300 per sq meter all inclusive as opposed to £500+ per sq meter for new builds

Has anyone worked on such a project that could give me some guidlines for pricing a job like this? I no its not the easiest of thing to advise on a chat forum as there is obviously a lack of info but any help is much apreciated.

Cheers in advance

Hoskie

2. Boff

Boff New Member

Work out what you need, how much it costs - add your bit on top along with labour and that's about it. Going on area seems a bit daft - no idea what's going into each flat.

If your a plasterer how come your rennovating a block of flats?!?

3. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Cheers for the reply Boff.

Yes indeed this is the easiest wy of working out a price for a job, the same method that I use week in and week out when I price my jobs up. But this one is slightly different and more complex that quoting for Mrs Smiths sitting room to be skimmed!

I will have to take into account electricians and plumbers and so on. I am very capable of fitting bathrooms and kitchens as I do a few of these myself but Im certainly no plumber. I also do joinery and the odd bit of brick work but again, Im no bricky or chippy but I do what I need to do which has always been enough to get me by without subbing jobs out.

The last flat renevation I worked on was quoted at £20.000 per flat all in and the builder in charge says he only just earned a wage from it after paying plumbers and sparkies and so on.

4. Boff

Boff New Member

Well that's the way I always work out rennovations and any other job to be honest - if you need any other trades in then tell them to go round and to give you a price for the work and then take that in to account.

I rennovated a flat last year - moved bathroom from one side of flat to other including tiling etc(including running soil pipe length of flat under the floor), studded out a new room, put kitchen in old bathroom, installed central heating system (none in before), rewired it, sound proofed ceilings, laminate floors and new carpets throughout, skimmed most of it, decorated it etc. and that was about £11k and I made a tidy profit even after I'd paid subbies and materials. I'm bloody quick as well though which might help :)

5. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Well cheers for that not sure if its the best job fot me to take on but im going to give it a go and see whats what. Im sure it will be fine

Cheers

6. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

I would concurr with getting in the other trades to quote, even if you don't use them for all the work.

Break down the jobs into work packages, such as bathroom installations, kitchen refits, CH etc and get the relevent people to quote for them, bearing in mind the client's specification.

Alternitively you could employ a Quantity Surveyor to do this for a few hundred.

When you do the quote, make sure you specify that the client's original spec is being used and any changes may incurr extra costs etc. There is nothing worse than having the client change his mind after you've put in the plumbing. If that work is already done and has to be changed, he pays ALL the costs of the original work PLUS the alterations to his new spec.

CC

7. richiesambora

richiesambora New Member

Good plan!