Completion Certificate

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pikerray, Feb 3, 2010.

  1. Pikerray

    Pikerray Member

    When a full house is rewired what type of completion Cert is required for BC ?

    Does the sparky issue the Cert straight after he has tested the circuits, or does he post it later ?
  2. seneca2

    seneca2 New Member

    It's known as an EIC (electrical installation certificate)and can be left with you on completion of the testing or posted to you. The work is also notifiable to Building Control and if the person doing the work is registered on a Competent Person Scheme (such as niceic or other) he will do this as well.
  3. bluevelvet

    bluevelvet New Member

    As seneca said if you sparks is registered with a
    Competent persons scheme, When he registers your job with them , they will inform the building control by
    e-mail that work has taken place at the address and they will send you a letter of compliance and also a guarantee of insurance for a six years on workmanship
  4. propper spark

    propper spark Member

    op why do you ask. Have you had a rewire and had no cert?
  5. Pikerray

    Pikerray Member

    No, Just asking what the procedure is.
  6. propper spark

    propper spark Member

    I would have said normally a cert is given at the end of the job as most people hand write them and there’s no reason the hold it back. Some may hold it back if there’s a gut feeling about payment. I do this sometimes and say I'll write it up and send it you in the post if I think there no going to pay. After all they know when you’re going to finish so why not have payment ready unless they don’t have the money. The other reason is that there not registered and have no intention of giving a cert.
  7. Ste-Pee

    Ste-Pee New Member

    The Installation certificate is given once the installation is complete; this includes circuit details, and test results etc. This ought really to be filled out 'on the job' and left behind, but for practical reasons I for one often fill it out at home later and post it on, with the invoice, using notes made whilst doing the work. Holding this cert back against payment of the invoice can be counter-productive; since providing it is part of the job, and some customers will be understandably reluctant to pay until they've got their certification.

    Contractors who are members of a competent persons scheme (such as the NICEICs Domestic Installer Scheme) then go online and record the details of the job, confirming work was done in compliance with the Building Regulations. It then takes them (the NICEIC) to electronically notify whichever local authority the job was done under, and post out a Compliance Certificate to the customer.

    So, you'll end up with at least 2 certificates: Installation Cert, and Compliance Cert. there may be others too; for example, if a smoke detector system was also installed.

    If the contractor isn't a scheme member it gets more tricky:
    If you've not already submitted a building notice, the council will require a retrospective one: cost about £130. (here). Then they'll want you to get someone who IS a scheme member to inspect and test the job, and complete copies of the Model forms from the back of the Part P document (form 3 & form 4); this'll cost you IRO another £100 or so.
    AFAIK the Council will then give you a completion certificate against you building notice.
    As you'll see, it's a right polava if you don't just use someone who can self-certify BR compliance ie a member of a scheme.

    Some Councils around here (NW) will accept a Periodic Inspection Certificate, if you don't have an Installation Cert., but strictly speaking this is not how it's supposed to work. I've even been asked by my local council to fill out an Installation Certificate for work that someone else did, and didn't certify; in order to get BR compliance certification. The NICEIC will strike off members for doing this!

    Anyway, that's rather more than what you asked, but may be of interest to someone...

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice