Composite decking help. Regulations??

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Chris1004, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Chris1004

Chris1004 Member

Hi all,

meant to be doing a deck in a few weeks time.

customer is having an extension built and want a deck 7m out from the extension. They want it all one level but my only concern is it will be to high and will over look into neighbours gardens..

do they need to get permission from the neighbours? Is there any regulations against doing this?

Cheers. Pictures below 09B196EA-1872-41F4-8F40-EE3BE83B342E.jpeg

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

3. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Over 300mm high apparently needs planning but I would have thought unlikely to be enforced unless neighbours have an issue with it.

4. Chris1004

Chris1004 Member

It starts at about 30cm the at the end of the deck it would be around 55cm above ground because there garden runs downhill. I think il do like you and Jonathan said, let them know and leave it with them. Maybe I need to convince them to have the deck on two levels..

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

The heigh is assessed at the highest point of ground. So yes it can be higher at other places. However you don’t want to be on the hook for planning advice!

6. Chris1004

Chris1004 Member

Cheers :D il let them know so it doesn't bite me in the **** in 6months time.

7. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

At its highest point you could just build up the ground level another 25cm.
    A flat deck is always more user-friendly in my opinion, although 7m is a good size to split it into two usable areas.
    In any case, good relations with the neighbours are always desirable. Even if it's technically allowed, it will spoil its enjoyment if they aren't happy about being overlooked.