Composite door creaking hinges

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by dazzz, Nov 23, 2017.

1. dazzz

dazzz New Member

Hi. Got a new composite front door a couple of months ago. Had problems with the sort creaking (rather than squeaking) as the door opens and closes. Had the bloke back but he (and the wife) swore blind it didn’t make a noise when he turned up. Wondered if there’s anything I could try myself? Pics attached of hinge type etc.

Cheers
    Daz

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Try wd40 and 3in 1 oil to start, if that doesn't work ask the fitter to swap the hinges, presuming his installation is competent.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

A spray of something like silicone spray would more than likely silence the hinges but this will probably be a temporary fix and the noise will return

Creaking sounds like 1 or more of the hinges isn’t properly aligned and / or the door isn’t perfectly true

If it’s not right, you will have to get him back again. Does it not make the noise every time the door is opened and closed ?

4. dazzz

dazzz New Member

Thanks for replies....

Diydave - yes it certainly makes the noise all the time now (after he ‘fixed’ it). I made the mistake of not being there myself when he came due to work commitments. If you’re clever u can probably avoid the noise by not opening fully, or opening and closing really quickly....but that’s obviously not Sonething I want to do for next 15 years!

I will try silicone spray as suggested.

Cheers guys.
    Darren

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As above, I recon that the silicone (or any other type of lubricant) will only be a short term fix and only mask the problem

These doors ain’t cheap and it’s only been fitted a couple months....... you shouldn’t be fudging around with the hinges and trying to cure the problem

Was it fitted by a one man band / builder or a upvc firm. Either way, another phone call, nice and polite of course and supply of tea and biscuits on the guys arrival works wonders. Better to get the actual issue sorted now than muddle along - good luck

6. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Dynamite as a matter of course!