Compound Mitre Saw / Mitre Saw

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dubsie, Jan 16, 2020.

1. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

I've got two rooms to do with the living room being 9 inch skirting.

The internal corners I'll be scribing but with two chimneys I each room I've got some external corners to do.

I've been making do with the rest of the house and using a circular saw but I'm considering buying a mitre saw. I was going to hire one but they want 70 quid for the weekend.

I'm having a look about and Metabo do some good value ones but has anyone got any recommendations

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Budget?

One off job, or other future work with it.

Something like METABO KGS216M has a pathetic cutting capacity of 36 mm at 45°.

3. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Look at DeWalt DWS774-GB at competitor.

5. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

This might be me being thick but it says it will cut just 177mm at 45. When I scribe the internal corners I tend to cut them at 45 and then scribe the profile and I get a nice joint.

The external corners are never 45 but I get the angle and then transfer it to the timber but this would be a lot easier with a saw.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

You're misinterpreting the cutting widths on the angles. For skirting mitres you'll be tilting the head not turning the table so the cutting width should be the same. When they say capacity 'x' at 45° they mean with the table rotated - as if you were picture framing (or architraves for instance)

Edit: Turning the table/head loses distance the more you turn it - tilting the head loses thickness as you lower it.

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

The best 8" sliding mitre saw available & with largest capicity is the Bosch GCM 8 SJL,superb saw,but it's most likely over your budget.

8. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

Ahhhh ok, it's a pitty they don't do a manual mitre saw that will cut 9 inch.

I've tried it with my circular but the slightest wiggle in the cut shows up clearly on the external Mitre.

At least now I don't have to spend 300 quid on a saw and can look at a cheaper model

9. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

Yes it looks good but you're right didn't want to spend over 200.

10. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

For under £150 the metabo is an excellent saw

11. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

12. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

Blimey the choice....i take it your not a fan of metabo.

13. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

I like quailty & reliabilty, & Bosch has never let me down, using a elderly GCM 10S bought 2008 & a newer GCM 8 SJL.

14. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

What you tend to find is that people have a preference for a particular brand and like to stick with it, as stated above the bosch is a lovely saw to use but for your budget you won’t go wrong with the metabo. Mine is used regularly for second fix but I do also own the 12” bosch for when I need to cut larger timbers. As for blades, bosch blades and Freud blades are both excellent blades as are the dewalt construction and makita blades, trend blades however can sometimes be a little snappy, what is important is the number of teeth.

15. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Bosch I believe own Freud,as to saws I had Makita years ago,when it died, did look at another Makita, but demo model in shop didn't impress me with quailty,& long term reliability,so went with Bosch.

16. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

And if you take a lot of bosch tools apart half the components are stamped mafell. Point I was trying to make is that you don’t always have to go the most expensive route to achieve the same quality.

17. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

I do like bosch tools and never owned a DeWalt because someone told me it was black and decker?????

I always regarded metabo as a quality brand maybe I'm wrong.

18. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I think you’ll find over the last 15-20 years every manufacturer has had a poor run at one time or another, on the whole though most of the big brands at the moment have their quality where you’d expect it to be

19. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to say that despite it being excellent value for what it offers I just didn't really get on with the Metabo. Even with a decent blade there was still some tearout, dust collection was indifferent and that large cutting capacity comes at a price as the saw's footprint is large as well if you allow for the rearward travel.

KIAB likes this.
  20. Montythecarpenter

Montythecarpenter New Member

True, so is stanley. Well technically the company is Stanley Black and Decker