Concealed hinges -- carcass too thick

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by siden, Sep 1, 2010.

1. siden

siden New Member

I am attempting to attach a fold down door to a wardrobe using concealed hinges like on a kitchen cupboard.
    I spent ages measuring up and have attached the hinges to the door, but now I've come to attach the latches inside the wardrobe I've hit a problem. The top of the wardrobe is 30mm thick, so I set the hinges into the door further away from the edge than I've now found they are designed to go, so the door will go on fine but will only open to around 45 degrees because the edge of the door will foul the top of the wardrobe.

Looking at this picture (but with everything turned 90 degrees clockwise):
    [​IMG]
    The panel on the left (the door) is wider at the number 1, and hits against the panel on the right (the carcass) at the number 3. The reason I offset it further is so that the door conceals the top of the carcass when it is closed.

So I'm looking for advice on where to go from here.
    These hinges look to have a concertina to allow them to fold back further: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16131/Ironmongery/Hinges/Concealed-Hinges/Sprung-Concealed-Clip-On-Hinge-35mm-165-Pack-of-2
    Would they also allow for the extra clearance I need (around 12mm extra)?

Hope this all makes sense, any advice welcome.
    Many thanks ,Simon.

2. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

The hinges are not designed to cover the carcass and have to be fitted in the correct position to work properly (as you've discovered).

The other hinges you linked to are no different in that respect, they merely allow the door to open to 165 degrees instead of 90.

3. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

an unfortunate problem there! If there are no adjacent doors, can you not just pull it 10mm forward to allow space to open? I appreciate that has a knock on affect on the gap at the bottom.

How come the panel is 30mm thick? In my bedroom, i used a regular larder unit on its side over the bed, with top hung doors. My panels were regular 18mm so no prob there.

Another idea, how about use a router to put a groove out of sight in the top of the panel, for the door to open into?

4. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

How come the panel is 30mm thick?

Doesn't matter how thick the panel is, a correctly fitted hinge will still work. Trying to cover the 30mm thickness with the door is the error.

Two kitchen carcasses screwed together are 36mm thick but the hinges still work.

5. jasonb

jasonb New Member

"Two kitchen carcasses screwed together are 36mm thick but the hinges still work. "

But the door only overhangs one thickness at the most allowing for edge gap.

You may get away with a Blum face frame hinge, this uses a similar 35mm cup but has a small plate that fits onto the face of the carcase. Though you may ned a couple of packing blocks as they are usually used on 40mm thick material.

Jason

6. siden

siden New Member

Thanks for the advice. The carcass has 18mm sides but the top and bottom are thicker and (it's obvious to me now) were never designed to take these hinges.
    With hindsight, I should have just hung the door to the side, but it's too late now. I'm going to carry on as I am, but cut a 12mm strip off the top of the door and attach it directly to the carcass so that when the door is shut it looks like one piece, but allows the rest of the door to open.
    Cheers, Simon.

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

you could chamfer the back edge for greater clearence

big all